Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. We are looking for an Extended Term Consultant (ETC) to contribute to strengthening the education system in the Philippines!
The Education Global Practice (GP) delivers operational approaches and evidence-based solutions to help strengthen countries’ education systems across the world. While COVID-19 poses huge challenges, it is also an opportunity to be a catalyst for transforming education delivery in the future. This is not only what is needed to make education systems more resilient to shocks like COVID-19, but also what the ‘schools of the future’ should aspire to achieve.
The World Bank’s education support and engagement strategy in the Philippines focuses around four major pillars: (i) supporting to enhance the quality and relevance of formal basic education and alternative learning system (second education program); (ii) promoting the transformation of higher education through its digitalization; (iii) contributing to the constructive and evidence-based national debate on strengthening the foundational skills and knowledge among all the Filipinos; and (iv) addressing equitable access to quality basic education. We also support the development of basic education system in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM).
Roles and responsibilities
The (ETC) will be an integral member of the team covering the Philippines, and of the Education GP team for the East Asia and Pacific (EAP) Region. The position will report to the Education Practice Manager for EAP and work under the supervision of a Senior Economist / Education Task Team Leader based in Manila. The ETC will be expected to:
• Master of Science in Economics, Education or related discipline with minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience.
• Proven experience in implementing all aspects of program evaluations, including study design, preparation of survey instruments, conducting key informant interviews and focus group discussions, and statistical analysis.
• Experience in processing microdata (e.g. household income and expenditure data) and statistical data analysis using STATA, SPSS and/or R.
• Experience in project management.
• Experience of working in or with the government in the Philippines.
• Strong analytical skills (quantitative and qualitative) and proven ability to conduct policy-relevant research, translate theory into practical applications, and apply professional knowledge and technical skills to analyze, diagnose and propose solutions to policy issues and challenges.
• Demonstrated experience with conducting fieldwork in developing country contexts, including for data collection and qualitative analysis.
• Fluency in English and Tagalog.
• Strong report writing skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with proven ability to work in a team and intercultural environment, with minimal supervision.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.