Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group (WBG) provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit http://www.worldbank.org
Note: The location of the duty station will be determined during
The Extended Term Consultant position requires
The Extended Term Consultant will function as a principal
– Cover a broad portfolio within a functional area, providing risk-based advice to management and staff on legal and policy issues in one or more areas of concentration.
– Draft, review, negotiate and finalize legal documents.
– Successfully deliver legal work on projects and programs and other transactions within client assignments by giving advice on higher risk profile issues with increasing areas of complexity.
– Guide Counsels, Associate Counsels, Legal Analysts and Paralegals and provide training and advice to them to ensure effective transfer of knowledge and skills.
– Develop innovative approaches and share best practices with colleagues.
– Develop knowledge products and manage tasks independently and as a leader of a team of colleagues.
– Handle issues within an area of specialization to enable clients to create solutions.
– Provide legal advice for adherence to World Bank Group policies and procedures and business objectives.
– Conduct comparative legal analyses on a range of issues in a given area, identify legal and policy issues, research relevant precedents, and propose appropriate solutions to colleagues and clients.
– Engage in policy discussions and negotiations with officials internally and externally, developing relationships with members of the legal profession and lawyers working in development partner agencies or other counterparty organizations.
– Protect World Bank Group’s interests and promote its goals and values.
– Write and review policy papers, undertake legal research on topics in area of concentration and contribute to dissemination of policy and best practices in a given field.
– Prepare legal briefs on diverse topics, as required.
– Work to advance the LEG VPU’s knowledge management agenda and use of technology; and
– Perform ad hoc assignments as requested by the manager.
* An LLM degree, J.D. or
* Excellent oral and written
General Competencies Required
* Excellent legal research,
* Excellent interpersonal skills.
* Experience in international,
* Excellent legal drafting
* Familiarity in the use of
* Proven ability to operate
* Proven ability to deal
* Ability to supervise and
* Ability to work under time
Other Competencies Required
* Legal Drafting, Research and Communication: Proven expertise drafting transactional
* World Bank Legal and Policy Framework: Has an extensive knowledge
* Independence: Carries out work with due care, preparing
* Professional Maturity: Understands others and the reasons
* Legal Reasoning: Breaks down problem into their
* Recommends and takes decisive action: Applies critical thinking and seeks
* Client Orientation: Takes personal responsibility and accountability
* Flexibility: Able
* Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making: Analyzes facts and data to support
* Create, Apply, Share Knowledge: Creates, applies and shares knowledge from
* Mentoring: Provides
* Deliver Results for Clients: Achieves results and identifies mission-driven
* Makes Smart Decisions: Recommends and takes decisive action; Applies
* Lead and Innovate: Develops innovative solutions with others;
* Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries: Initiates collaboration across boundaries and
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.
|Country:||-- United States|
|City, State:||Washington D.C.|