Under the general supervision of the Director, Language Services Department, the Division Manager, Interpretation Division will:
- Draft policies, rules and standards to govern interpretation Bank-wide.
- Ensure that quality interpretation services are provided at all meetings and events organized by the Bank at Headquarters or abroad, or at other events to which the Bank is party.
- Analyze meeting interpretation requests and decide on the need for and level of outsourcing.
- Facilitate the use of English and French as working languages within the Bank Group.
- Continually review and implement practical guidelines and procedures for the efficient delivery of interpretation services.
- Contribute to effective communication between the Management and officers of the Bank, the authorities of member countries, officials from other organizations etc. by ensuring the provision of cost- effective and quality interpretation services at meetings.
Duties and responsibilities
- Review requests for interpretation and assign interpreters both staff and freelance accordingly.
- Review the Annual Meetings Programme and determine the number of freelance interpreters to be recruited to service all the meetings in English, French, Arabic and Portuguese (as well as any other languages required) and follow up on all the arrangements related to travel, accommodation and payments.
- Lead, manage and supervise the work of staff in the Division.
- Assess training needs of staff in the Division and in a participatory manner, formulate customized training programmes and follow-up with CHHR for implementation.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of staff interpreters in accordance with the Bank’s Performance Evaluation Guidelines.
- Organize briefing sessions for interpreters assigned to highly technical meetings as well as all those on emerging issues.
- Plan, organize and supervise accreditation tests for new freelance interpreters.
- Oversee the implementation of the Framework Agreement signed with freelance interpreters.
- Ensure that both staff and freelance interpreters receive the relevant background documents well in advance of meetings to ensure familiarity with the subject matters.
- Advise Senior Management of the budgetary and financial impacts of the Division’s operations.
- Oversee the mentoring of interns.
- Advise and sensitize Department Directors, Managers and all other clients on interpretation-related issues and policies.
- Organize and monitor staff exchange programmes with sister institutions.
- Promote benchmarking with sister institutions and sharing of best practices in the industry and, in this regard, represent the Bank at fora where such issues are discussed (HINTS, IAMLADP, etc.) Perform interpretation tasks when appropriate.
- Represent the Division as needed in Bank-wide working groups as well as preparatory meetings for High Level Events.
- Lead and supervise the team of interpreters at major events the Bank may have in and outside the Bank’s headquarters such as the Annual Meetings, ADF Meetings, GCI meetings as well as other High Level Events.
- Design technical tests for candidates who have been shortlisted for Chief and Principal Interpreter positions, and sit on interview panels for the said positions.
- Act for the Director and carry out other assignments as entrusted by the Director
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Interpretation.
- Have a minimum of eight (08) years of relevant working experience in a similar organization, of which three (3) minimum in a supervisory position.
- Ability to work under pressure, keep calm and composure, prioritize work program, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to analyze requests and complex interpretation scenarios and working out appropriate solutions.
- Ability to dialogue with and sensitize clients on interpretation related issues.
- Ability to formulate and defend budget proposals vis-à-vis the hierarchy of the Complex, draft reports, policies and guidelines.
- Competency to lead, supervise and motivate the teams, and to delegate work and responsibilities appropriately.
- Ability to take responsibility for the financial and staffing aspects of operational management and service delivery.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Ability to communicate efficiently (written and oral) in English or French.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and demonstrate knowledge of other software packages applicable to translation and interpretation (workflow, scheduling, translation memory, etc.)
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED AS INTERNATIONAL RECRUITMENT AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.