The Director, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) position is responsible for the development and implementation of ChildFund’s global M&E system – including the development of the overall MEL framework and platform, data collection tools, data quality assurance, data aggregation and analysis processes, and enabling the use of program monitoring data to support improved program quality & results and for operational and strategic decision-making at all levels of the organization, including the Alliance partners. ChildFund’s global M&E system includes our basic accountability functions, demographic data on children served by our programs, outcome measures related to our theories of change, and data on utilization of global program models. This position manages the M&E Unit, comprised of Country Office (CO) M&E Advisors, an M&E/Knowledge Management Advisor, and an M&E Specialist.
Remain alert and responsive to any child safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills which will enable you to promote strong safeguarding practices, understand the child safeguarding policy and procedures, and conduct yourself in a manner consistent with the Child Safeguarding Policy.
- Manage/supervise the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team. This includes coaching, mentoring and performance management of a team of Advisors and Specialists to ensure that they are providing quality support to all divisions and COs in their areas of expertise.
- Coordinate the MEL support provided to the COs.Global MEL Framework Development (10%)
- Articulate and update ChildFund’s Global M&E Framework, Policy and Procedures as required by changes in technology and by the evolution of ChildFund’s programming, accountability and research requirements.
- Ensure all ChildFund International MEL personnel are familiar with and execute global M&E functions in alignment with the Global MEL Framework.
Global MEL Platform Development and Management (30%)
- Identify appropriate technology platforms for the consistent and efficient collection and management of global M&E data.
- In collaboration with key stakeholders in Fundraising, articulate the M&E platform needs and preferences to key stakeholders in P&P, IT and Global Operations to ensure global MEL needs are included in ChildFund International’s IT and Digital priorities and platforms.
- Ensure that global MEL platform(s) are managed and maintained in ways that optimize data integrity and ease of use for enumerators, CO and partner MEL personnel and consumers of MEL data across the organization.
- Lead and coordinate efforts to ensure platform users have the training and support required to utilize the platform.
MEL Data Collection Tools and Processes (10%)
- Lead the development, testing and management of necessary data collection tools for the full range of global M&E activities, and update as programming, accountability and research needs evolve.
- Negotiate modifications to standard tools or processes with key stakeholders, including Alliance Members, as necessary.
- Develop and refine data collection approaches and processes to ensure timely availability of global M&E results for planning, reflection and related processes.
- Lead the development of guidance and coordinate the necessary support to MEL stakeholders to ensure data quality.
- In collaboration with Assurance, Fundraising, Global Operations and IT, develop and support data quality assurance processes.
Global MEL Data Aggregation & Analysis Processes (10%)
- Lead the development of data aggregation and analysis processes.
- Develop guidance and coordinate support to MEL stakeholders to enable COs and partners to undertake their own standard data aggregation and analysis processes.
- Undertake standard and specialized data analyses to meet the needs of partners, Global Operations, P&P, Fundraising and the Executive Team as required.
Development of Reports for Internal and External Use (15%)
- Develop and/or ensure your team develops products that enable organization-wide learning and sharing by documenting approaches, project and program designs and lessons, case studies and other knowledge products.
- Seek and leverage existing knowledge products in order to increase efficiency and effectiveness and ensure your team does as well.
- Lead the development of standard dashboards to enable the management of global MEL processes and to support managers’ knowledge and understanding of programmatic progress and results.
- In collaboration with key stakeholders in Fundraising, P&P and Global Operations, develop data analysis plans and standard reports for global M&E results.
- In collaboration with key stakeholders in Fundraising, P&P and Global Operations undertake specific data analyses for internal decision making, representation, visibility and/or external sharing purposes.
Resource Mobilization (5%)
- In collaboration with the Director, Research and Learning, identify and pursue funding for program evaluations.
Project and Program Model M&E (5%)
- Support the development of MEL frameworks and plans for key grants, as required.
- Support the development of monitoring & evaluation tools, baseline and endline evaluations of key grants, as required.
- 10+ years of experience in monitoring and evaluation, applied research, or doing and/or managing evaluation for social change organizations
- Demonstrated ability to manage and mentor staff, including coaching, and performance management
- Demonstrated ability to work with all elements of an M&E system: purpose, people, process, and platform
- Experience in research design, data collection, data analysis, the presentation of findings, and the engagement of others into the interpretation and implications of findings
- Experience supporting organizational change related to the institutionalization of monitoring and evaluation processes and their use for decision-making
- Demonstrated ability to connect across functional divisions and hierarchical structures, and help people to see the story behind the data and reflect on the quality and results of their work
- Experience using statistical and qualitative analysis software packages, as well as spreadsheet, graphics, and presentation software
- Demonstrated competence in assessing priorities and managing a variety of activities in a time-sensitive environment, working under pressure with grace, and meeting deadlines with attention to detail and quality
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to match monitoring, evaluation and research approaches to the organization’s mission and vision of empowering people, particularly children, to articulate and effect social change in their worlds
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with operational research and program evaluation methodologies, including quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Demonstrated ability to design and manage processes, of reflection, discussion, negotiation, and collective decision-making, involving large numbers of staff across geographic locations (
- Bilingual (English with French, Spanish, and/or Portuguese).
- Master’s degree or PhD in a social science relevant to ChildFund’s core business
ChildFund International is committed to safeguarding the interests, rights, and well-being of children with whom it is in contact and to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for children.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
NOTE: All interested applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. (for Washington DC applicants) or in the specified country (for Global applicants) at the time of application.