Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This is a senior staff fixed-term appointment for a period of 3 years. This vacancy is open to internal and external applicants.
If the selected candidate is an external hire, the appointment may be extended for a period of up to 3 years per extension, or not renewed. In case of extension, staff may continue in the position for another term of up to 3 years, or be reassigned to any suitable position in ADB.
The same terms and conditions also apply to a selected internal candidate. In addition, if the staff selected has a regular appointment, staff will retain the regular appointment and his/her selection will be considered an assignment for an initial fixed period of 3 years. If the staff selected has a fixed term appointment, his/her appointment will cease, and he/she will be given a new fixed term appointment for an initial term of 3 years.
Fixed-term appointments or assignments are subject to Section 3 of Administrative Order (AO) 2.01 (Recruitment and Appointment) and Section 8 of AO 2.03 (Selection, Talent and Position Management) and its Appendices.
Whether the selected candidate is internal or external, and regardless of the type of appointment, any extension of staff beyond age 60 shall be subject to such terms and conditions determined by ADB, including, where relevant, those provided in Section 10 of AO 2.05 (Termination Policy) and its Appendices.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Regional Cooperation and Operations Coordination Division (SARC) within the South Asia Department (SARD). SARD is responsible for providing leadership innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work that covers operations in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. SARC is responsible for (i) coordinating regional cooperation and integration (RCI) operations in SARD; (ii) delivering operationally-relevant analytical studies on relevant and contemporary development issues in SARD countries; (iii) planning, preparing, and implementing technical assistance and selected investment projects on RCI and other multi-sector thematic areas, such as economic corridor development, associated industrial development including micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs), trade facilitation, and logistics; (iv) coordinating knowledge management in SARD; (v) serving as focal point for ADB operations in Maldives; and (vi) supporting headquarters—resident mission (RM) liaison for SARD RMs.
 SARD countries include Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
Lead the planning, implementation and supervision of the division’s vision, goals, strategies and work plan in support of overall ADB goals. Oversee the quality of work and ensure the achievement of objectives of the division. Support external and internal relations, coordination and consultation initiatives for the department and provide guidance on day-to-day operational issues and compliance with ADB policies. Work with problems and issues that may involve high risk.
The incumbent will report to the Director General of the South Asia Department and will supervise International, National, and Administrative staff.
- Establish, articulate and cascade the division’s vision, goals, development strategies and key result areas (KRAs) in support of ADB’s goals, departmental goals and in compliance with ADB policies.
- Lead the planning, implementation and supervision of work plans, while monitoring and guiding the quality of output and the achievement of long-term goals and annual objectives for the division.
- Provide leadership in professional and operational matters, taking the lead in contributing new or innovative approaches to policy and operational substances.
- Guide development and implementation of South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) Vision, Operational Plan, and 3-year rolling action plans encompassing upstream studies, TAs, investment projects, and reform programs for the relevant sectors, facilitating the effective functioning of the organizational setup with member countries.
- Prepare and oversee the quality of support for the Regional Country Partnership Strategy (RCPS) and updates, including the effective functioning of related committees and networks.
- Provide support for various other activities under ADB-supported regional/sub-regional economic cooperation programs and activities.
- Identify key priority areas of the division in regional cooperation and integration.
- Conduct economic and structural analysis of sectors pertaining to the development of the economic corridor and business areas, and validate the sectors’ benefits.
- Oversee the design and processing of technical assistance (TA) and investment projects in trade facilitation, industrial corridor development (including MSMEs), and logistics, and other new business areas to ensure quality, innovation, results orientation, and compliance with ADB’s policies (environment, resettlement, governance, anti-corruption, and other requirements).
- Identify global and regional best practices in relation to the assigned sectors and corridors and ascertain that these practices are incorporated in the analyses and project design;
- Identify critical gaps and drivers of growth of the concerned sectors and corridors and Identify priorities of work for economic corridor development and other new business areas
- Monitor follow up and undertake corrective actions projects involving high levels of risk, loan/TA approvals, engagement of consultants, procurement, and disbursements.Guide the country programming and portfolio management of Maldives operations.
- Support the Country Partnership Strategies (CPS) and Country Operations Business Plans (COBPs) of the relevant countries facilitating consistency with RCI and related programs.
- Coordinate with Country Directors (CDs) for planning, processing, and implementing relevant programs and projects.
- Provide support for relationship management, policy dialogues, consultation and coordination with government, development partners, civil society, and private sector groups in developing member countries (DMCs) in area of responsibility.
- Provide support for relationship management and coordination with the Board, Senior Management and other departments.
- Facilitate effective division coordination and cooperation with other ADB divisions, departments, and internal stakeholders.
- Support the proper dissemination of various knowledge products prepared.
- Inform and provide recommendations to the Director General (DG) of significant developments, emerging opportunities and challenges in area of responsibility.
- Manage budget and resource allocation for the division.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree in Management, Economics, or other related specialized fields. University degree combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant professional experience work including at least 5 years’ international project experience, with a record of promoting and applying innovations; experience in RCI programming and/or project operations is preferable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Demonstrated experience with corporate coordination and communications.
- Demonstrated experience in building effective external partnerships, knowledge dissemination and communication.
- Able to lead and work with multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Able to inspire trust and confidence and to promote a strong culture of honesty, trust and openness.
- International experience working in several countries.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Levels 7-8.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.