Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This is a senior staff fixed-term appointment for a period of 3 years. This vacancy is open to internal and external applicants.
If the selected candidate is an external hire, the appointment may be extended for a period of up to 3 years per extension, or not renewed. In case of extension, staff may continue in the position for another term of up to 3 years, or be reassigned to any suitable position in ADB.
The same terms and conditions also apply to a selected internal candidate. In addition, if the staff selected has a regular appointment, staff will retain the regular appointment and his/her selection will be considered an assignment for an initial fixed period of 3 years. If the staff selected has a fixed term appointment, his/her appointment will cease, and he/she will be given a new fixed term appointment for an initial term of 3 years.
Fixed-term appointments or assignments are subject to Section 3 of Administrative Order (AO) 2.01 (Recruitment and Appointment) and Section 8 of AO 2.03 (Selection, Talent and Position Management) and its Appendices.
Whether the selected candidate is internal or external, and regardless of the type of appointment, any extension of staff beyond age 60 shall be subject to such terms and conditions determined by ADB, including, where relevant, those provided in Section 10 of AO 2.05 (Termination Policy) and its Appendices.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position leads the Information Technology Department (ITD) of ADB. ITD enables ADB’s digital agenda and supports the Bank’s global operations. The department delivers digital innovation, IT infrastructure, services and solutions, and provides tools and knowledge platforms.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Infrastructure and Technology Division (ITID) is in charge of operating and managing all aspects of the enterprise’s IT infrastructure and communications assets that support ADB’s core IT services and business applications.
Director, ITID leads the planning, implementation, and supervision of the division’s vision and work plan to drive service excellence and support the overall goals and operational requirements of ADB. Works with other divisions/units of the Information Technology Division (ITD), and other areas of ADB to optimize the use of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) resources, deliver timely information, and adequately respond to changing business requirements.
The incumbent: (i) directs the planning, implementation, operations, and support of IT infrastructure, including local and wide area network, unified communications, operating systems, platforms and database servers, data center, disaster recovery and business continuity, technical security; (ii) oversees the operations and maintenance of the ICT assets of ADB at headquarters and in the field offices, to deliver prescribed levels of reliability, availability, service, and support; (iii) ensures the quality of work and the achievement of the objectives of the division; (iv) provides strategic guidance and oversight on day-to-day operational issues and compliance with ADB policies; and (v) resolves high-risk problems and issues.
The incumbent will report to the Director General, ITD and will supervise International staff (IS), National staff (NS), and Administrative staff (AS).
A. Infrastructure and Communications Management and other Project Implementation
• Provides leadership in delivering highly reliable, secure, cost effective, and robust IT infrastructure and operations services for ADB and external users.
• Leads the daily operations of all server systems, data networks and voice (telecommunication) systems, including advanced tuning and performance of systems and network; capacity planning, systems and network configuration, production support, network design, implementation, maintenance, and all related cyber security operations matters.
• Ensures that ADB’s project standards, procedures, policies, and processes are followed and that IT infrastructure projects are focused on the delivery of expected outcomes and are completed within approved scope, budget, and timeline.
• Leads compliance with infrastructure architecture and standards and gives guidance to division’s staff during IT infrastructure and other audits.
• Oversees development of procedures, processes, and controls for infrastructure services operations as well as drive related continuous improvement measures and initiatives.
• Lead the development of infrastructure architecture in close coordination with other units of ITD.
• Ensures that all aspects of Data Center Operations, Communications and Network, Database Administration adhere to and comply with the architecture and standards for data, technology, and security.
• Ensures that the reliability, availability and serviceability of ADB’s computer facilities and communications network meet the goals and requirements of the organization.
• Together with other divisions, participates in introducing new technologies in observability, cloud, web and analytics.
• Oversees the selection, procurement, implementation, development, and maintenance of technology assets and services including wireless, voice, data systems, servers, end user computing devices.
• Develops and actively manages partnerships with other ADB departments and external experts and organizations to improve the timeliness and quality of outcomes and deliverables.
• Resolves operational issues and conflicts across projects and seek resolution of strategic and policy issues with appropriate parties (i.e., other members of the ITD Management Team; Project Sponsors; Steering Committee Members; and/or the IT Committee).
B. Leadership and Strategic Management
• Establishes and cascades the division’s vision, goals, development strategies and key result areas (KRAs) in support of ADB’s goals, departmental goals and in compliance with ADB policies.
• Leads the planning, implementation and supervision of work plans as well as monitors the quality of output and the achievement of long-term goals and annual objectives for the division.
• Provides leadership in professional and operational matters, taking the lead in contributing new or innovative approaches to IT policies, practices, and operational issues.
• Provides contributions to strengthening ADB’s Organizational Resilience.
C. Division Operations Management
• Oversee day-to-day operations and provide guidance on operational issues and ADB policies.
• Informs and provides recommendations to the other members of the ITD Leadership Team of significant developments, emerging opportunities and challenges in the area of responsibility.
• Facilitates effective coordination and cooperation with other ADB departments and internal and external stakeholders.
• Undertakes the performance management of the division, including motivation of division staff.
• Works with other areas of ITD to effectively manage budget and resource allocation for the division; ensure adherence and compliance to IT Governance, processes, frameworks, and standards; and guarantee high quality of deliverables.
D. Staff Supervision
• Creates and leads multidisciplinary teams and ensures the overall quality of work.
• Manages the performance of teams and individuals providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
• Provides coaching and mentoring to teams and individuals and ensures their on-going learning and development.
• Provides strong and accessible leadership to the division’s staff by managing conflicts and identifying, developing, and encouraging excellence in all aspects of the division’s strategic, operational, and analytical work.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in Information Technology, Business Administration, Management, Organization Development, Economics, Engineering, or related fields; or University degree in Information Technology, Business Administration, Management, Organization Development, Economics, Engineering, or related fields combined with at least 10 years of specialized experience in similar organizations may be considered in lieu of a Master’s Degree.
• Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level
• At least 15 years of relevant experience in the management of IT operations and large scale projects, project planning, monitoring techniques and methodologies related to IT infrastructure and communications
• Experience in handling large contracts and in dealing with large groups of staff, consultants, and contractors
• Significant experience with the operations and procedures of multilateral development and financing institutions preferred
• Competence and ability to build and lead teams of highly qualified international staff, national staff, and administrative staff
• Ability to handle negotiations and deal effectively with all levels of staff, Management, consultants, contractors, and other external counterparts
• Proven organizational, management and leadership qualities
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
• International experience working in several countries
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 7.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.