The Liberia Local Empowerment for Government Inclusion and Transparency (LEGIT) project will improve Liberia’s decentralization conditions and capacity by linking improved government performance with stronger accountability to citizens. LEGIT will align government supply of services with citizen-driven demand, using robust performance indicators to allow Government of Liberia (GOL) partners and citizens to measure government effectiveness. This will result in strengthened GOL ability to plan, manage, and deliver services with meaningful citizen participation.
The Liberia Accountability and Voice Initiative (LAVI) Project is a five-year, USAID-funded project to strengthen multi-stakeholder partnerships to advocate for and monitor policy and accountability reforms. It aims to increase the influence of citizens and media in the governance of public goods and services, as well as to create more effective, accountable, and inclusive governance in Liberia.
The Revenue Generation for Governance and Growth (RG3) activity will build the capacity of targeted GOL institutions, particularly the Ministry of Finance and Development Planning (MFDP) and the Liberia Revenue Authority (LRA), to improve domestic revenue mobilization in Liberia. RG3 will support the MFDP to develop the capacity to formulate sound, predictable, and fair revenue policies. It will also support the LRA to enhance its ability to effectively, efficiently, and transparently implement those policies and carry out is revenue collection mandate. Lastly, it will work with the GOL, private sector, and civil society to strengthen consultation, education and engagement on taxes and their benefits with an aim to build tax morale, increase voluntary compliance, and foster greater trust between taxpayers and the government.
The Deputy Chief of Party will support the Chiefs of Party by ensuring effective, efficient, and compliant operations to fulfill the strategic objectives of the USAID LEGIT, LAVI and RG3 projects. The DCOP will work in partnership with the COPs and DAI home office management team to implement streamlined processes and approaches to achieve project goals and to provide oversight and leadership to finance, human resources, and procurement teams.
Responsibilities and Key Tasks:
The Deputy Chief of Party will oversee daily administrative operations of the projects, including human resources, procurement, inventory management, and reporting. The Deputy Chief of Party will work with the COPs and administrative staff to ensure that operating policies and procedures comply with USAID and DAI regulations and support LAVI, LEGIT and RG3 objectives. Detailed duties include:
- Supervise an integrated LAVI, LEGIT and RG3 ops team
- Design and implement project management systems, policies, and tools for effective and efficient operations
- Manage and train finance, administration, HR, IT, and procurement teams
- Supervise the administration of systems and resources shared between projects at the main office compound in Monrovia, including IT staff and equipment
- Monitor TAMIS recordkeeping, particularly for procurement and project administration
- Identify short-term operational consulting requirements and draft SOWs as needed
- Serve as principal liaison with DAI home office project management team
- Serve as security focal point
- Oversee systems and policies for local procurement to promote expediency, accountability, value for money, and transparency while minimizing risk
- Manage local procurement in collaboration with dedicated projects’ procurement team, including developing procurement specifications, conducting tenders, and overseeing vendor selection
- Ensure that procurement is conducted in accordance with USAID regulations and DAI policies, and documented clearly and accurately
The Deputy Chief of Party will oversee the daily financial operations and management of the program and manage the strategic programming of funds and provide recommendations on the overall financial management of the project. Detailed duties include:
- Maintain, regularly update, and analyze the project budgets and oversee regular and accurate reporting to USAID and DAI
- Contribute to project pipeline analysis and provide input into budget realignments
- Direct and monitor the management of cash and other assets to ensure integrity and efficiency in the use of financial resources
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all tax requirements
- Establish and implement a sound internal control system to ensure financial information is reliable, timely and accurate
- Conduct regular internal audits of financial transactions, make recommendations, and implement follow-up actions as necessary
The Deputy Chief of Party will directly supervise Operations Manager, Admin and HR Manager, IT Manager, and three Finance Managers.
The Deputy Chief of Party will report to all three COPs for LAVI, LEGIT and RG3.