About the role: This is a 12 month, replacement role with unaccompanied terms based in Halba, Lebanon with a salary of Band 5 €44,095 -48,995.
You will report to the Country Director and will line manage the finance staff in Lebanon. You will work closely with all Concern staff, tax authorities, auditors, partners & donor finance staff.
We would like you to start 17 February 2020.
Your purpose: You will be responsible for managing all aspects of the finance function of the Concern Worldwide Lebanon programme to achieve our objectives in line with Concern Worldwide policies, procedures and standards. You are a member of the Country Management Team and will provide leadership in the development and management of all programmes in accordance with organizational policies and the Country Strategic Plan.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring country financial management systems & records are adequate in order to identify and protect the assets & interest of the organization.
- Ensuring systems are in place, and enhance, as far as possible, the efficiency & effectiveness of the manner in which assets are utilized
- Ensuring the global accounting package (Microsoft Great Plains) is maintained in a proper manner, and utilized in an appropriate & effective manner.
- Establishing & maintaining a donor financial management system in order to optimize funding & to ensure efficient & accurate reporting to donors.
- Ensuring adequate controls over cash & bank management are constantly monitored & updated to minimize the risk of fraud or misappropriation.
- Undertaking regular field visits in order to assess the financial systems in place & implement improvements wherever need
- Closely monitoring all financial activities, and keep the CD/Senior Management Team advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial management performance
- Undertaking financial assessments & evaluation of partners, in line with Concern’s standard financial procedures.
- Participating in the review, monitoring and capacity building of partners.
- Ensuring partner finance reports are thoroughly reviewed in coordination with the respective Programme staff.
- Maintaining an effective & efficient system of internal controls which comply with Concern Worldwide financial guidelines.
- Reviewing existing systems on an on-going basis in order to develop and improve internal controls, in compliance with Concern’s policies and procedures
- Ensuring all financial records & accounts are compiled timely, accurately and in line with international accounting standards & donor regulations
- Ensuring the country financial operations comply with legal & statutory requirements e.g. audit & financial reporting to all relevant national authorities.
- Ensuring country management prepares the annual & revised Country budget and donor budgets, as accurately as possible.
- Keeping up to date with donor regulations and ensure that all controls are in place to meet donor compliance.
- Ensuring timely & accurate preparation of monthly management accounts for budget-holders and Country Management to ensure that they can monitor the budget utilization and take appropriate action on any significant variances.
- Ensuring timely & accurate preparation of financial reports for Dublin (Financial Reporting Pack (FRP))
- Ensuring timely & accurate preparation of donor reports for external donors / agencies.
- Reconciling all balance sheet items on a monthly basis, in accordance with Concern Worldwide policies & procedures
- Finalizing year end accounts for external auditor and provide any ad-hoc year reports for Dublin
- Provide financial analysis where necessary especially on maximizing available funds and advise to CMT
Staff Management & Capacity Building
- Developing the capacity of the local finance team to ensure that a good standard of financial management is maintained.
- Undertaking specific training and other relevant initiatives so that the national staff can be credible candidates to fill any vacant position in the finance team and to provide strong cover for leave.
- Undertaking financial training of budget-holders, to assist them in enforcing financial controls & making decisions based on financial reports.
- Facilitating internal, external & donor audits
- Ensuring all statutory deductions & taxes are complied with & to liaise with relevant authorities in this respect.
- Assisting in the development & implementation of the Country’s Strategic Plan
- Actively participating in the CMT meetings and be proactively involved in the decision making processes
- Any other related assignments
- Adhering fully to the commitments and rules of Concern’s Code of Conduct and its associated policies, Anti-Fraud and Whistle Blowing Policy, including the respect of confidentiality
- Reporting to the Country Director any violations of the code of conduct.
Your skills and experience will include:
- Accountancy Qualification (e.g. CPA, ACA, ACCA)
- 3 years post qualification experience in Concern or a similar organization preferably as international staff.
- Experience in developing staff capacity both on technical and management aspects
- Experience managing large and multi donor (especially USAID, ECHO, DFID, etc.) programme budgets
- Must be fully fluent in English
We would also like:
- Knowledge of development issues and concepts.
- Academic background of or strong practical experience in macro-economic and/or fiscal policy.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Arabic speaking
- Good team worker
- Good Communication and negotiation skills
- A good understanding of computer applications i.e. Microsoft word, Excel, communications systems and basic trouble shooting skills.
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Empathy with Concern’s goals and a commitment to capacity building, protection and participation
- Good communication and training / capacity building skills
- Proven organization, planning and management skills
- Ability to work on own initiative and lead diverse teams
- Flexible and adaptable to a changing environment