NRC is seeking a Country Director for our Afghanistan program that is able to meet the challenges of a complex humanitarian situation and contribute to the continuation of an exciting and challenging program. The country director will provide vision and leadership to guide the strategic direction of the programs as well as being responsible for a sound financial management of funds and for the acquisition of additional funding. Furthermore the country director will have responsibility for security management to assure the safety and security of all employees. Moreover, NRC Afghanistan is searching for a dedicated and experienced leader to achieve the task of providing assistance to those in need. A creative thinker regarding issues of access is a must as well as experience from managing programs in insecure environments.
The Country Director reports to the Regional Director Asia Europe
- National representation and coordination
- Development and execution of country strategy
- All in-country activities, personnel and the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Safety and security of all staff
- Country level advocacy
- Resource allocation and mobilization
- Cost efficiency and quality, including implementation of control mechanisms
- Adequate country structures and systems
- Learning, training and development of all staff, including a strategy for national staff development
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Minimum 5 years experience from working as a Senior Manager/Country Director in humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Knowledge of the context in Afghanistan is an asset
- Documented/proven results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
- Commencement: December 2017 or befor
- Contract period: 18 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s international general directions
- Duty station:The position will be based in Kabul Country Office, with regular travels to the NRC field offices in Afghanistan. This is an unaccompanied post/non family duty station, with shared housing/accomodation of moderate standard.
- Due to the unstable security situation, recreational and social facilities are limited.
- All international staff working and residing in Afghanistan are obliged to pay income tax to the Afghanistan authorities.
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Selected candidate need to provide certified University diplomas prior to applying for visa to Afghanistan
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location