Internews seeks a Country Director in Tajikistan to provide strategic guidance and leadership for Internews work in the country; oversee project activities; supervise program personnel, financial management, and administration; and coordinate with funders and other media stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews leverages existing resources, avoids duplication, and complements other media development initiatives. The Country Director will also be responsible for establishing strong partnerships with counterparts nationally and across the region and with the appropriate donor representatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, other duties may be assigned:
- Provide strategic, operational and representational leadership in country to ensure that Internews activities are meeting their goals and targets on time and within budget, recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep program(s) on track. Oversee project monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and to measure project impact.
- Manage and oversee organization and implementation of activities that take place in country, including supervising local staff and coordinating with local partners. Provide support to regional events by coordinating with the regional program team and providing country-specific assistance (ex. finding local trainers and participants, identifying local venues for in-country regional events, etc.)
- Supervise local staff and coordinate with partners based in country. Carry out supervisory responsibilities for local staff in accordance with organizational policies and applicable local laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints; and resolving problems.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local partner organizations throughout the region and ensure that program implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries.
- Serve as the public face and primary point of contact on Internews programs in country for regional and international donor missions and stakeholders.
- Write and edit project reports and project documentation in collaboration with Internews staff and according to award stipulations.
- Oversee data collection from local partners for program reports, communications materials, and other program documentation as per award stipulations.
- Maintain strategic awareness of issues related to independent media and disinformation in the country and the larger region; be up to date with global media trends and technological developments, especially in the digital field.
- Ensure that program activities in country are in compliance with donor rules, requirements, and regulations, as well as with Internews’ internal policies and procedures.
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the project activities in the country, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable, and correctly allocated.
- Actively seek opportunities for in-country project development; reach out to donors, design and write proposals as relevant;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Previous experience as a Chief of Party, Program Director, Country Director, Deputy Chief of Party, or equivalent high-level management experience with a strong reputation for developing excellent collaborative working relationships with local counterparts, international organizations, and donors.
- At least five years of experience in media and/or media development.
- Deep understanding of the local and regional media sector.
- A successful track record in supervising, designing, managing, and implementing technical assistance for donor-funded media or democracy projects and proven ability to develop and monitor work plans, training plans, and procurement plans.
- Experience implementing complex, multifaceted development initiatives with demonstrated skill in organizing resources, establishing priorities, and overseeing diverse teams of employees.
- Proven experience working effectively with independent media, CSOs, various types of partners, and local government counterparts.
- Experience with USG-funded media projects is strongly preferred.
- Experience in grants management.
- Demonstrated budgeting and financial management skills.
- Strong leadership, staff management, team-building, and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven ability to creatively problem-solve and provide ethical management.
- English fluency required, proficiency in Tajik and/or Russian highly preferred.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.