The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. In Cameroon, the IRC has an office in Yaoundé with a main office in Maroua, in the Far North of the country, with programming focused on emergency responses supporting access to water and improved hygiene and sanitation, women’s protection and empowerment and economic recovery initiatives.
The Country Director will provide the strategic vision and leadership for the country program. S/he is responsible for ensuring the design and delivery of quality programs, donor and government relations, fundraising and budget management, security and operations management, and developing a motivated and professional team. Reporting to the Regional Director, the Country Director will work closely with, and receive support from regional and headquarters program technical units, safety and security services, regional finance and operations staff.
This position is currently unaccompanied and is based in Maroua, Cameroon.
Strategic Planning and Management
- Working closely with the Regional Director, and regional team, review and commence implementation of the emergency response plan for Cameroon
- Ensure that structures and systems are in compliance with IRC standards, and that they support program delivery and promote management coordination and efficiency throughout the country program
- Develop a context specific strategic action plan for the Cameroon country program.
Program Quality & Development
- Develop program strategies in accordance with IRCs mission and global strategic action plan (IRC2020)
- Ensure the consistent use of well managed assessment, design and proposal development processes
- Promote a team approach and positive learning environment utilizing headquarters, country program and operations staff and partners to consistently enhance the quality of design and implementation
Key Partner & Donor Relations
- Develop IRC as a partner of choice for major local and international donors, international and national NGOs and other humanitarian actors
- Develop and maintain a high level of understanding of donor priorities, country plans and planned funding initiatives
- Maintain and expand participation with key donors, host government, local stakeholders and relevant policy and coordinating bodies
Fundraising and Budget Management
- Ensure submission of appropriate, timely high quality proposals and lead required donor negotiations
- Monitor and identify appropriate sources for match fund requirements and coverage of funding gaps
- Provide timely and effective oversight of the financial position of the country program including identification and implementation of required changes to match funding levels
- Maintain effective and coordinated budget monitoring processes for grant funds and discretionary funds
Security & Operations Management
- In coordination with the Regional Safety and Security Advisor (RSSA) ensure that the security management plan for the country program is updated and ensure the consistent monitoring and analysis of the security environment and adherence by all staff to the IRC security protocols and procedures
- Working with country senior management team ensure the development, implementation and monitoring of financial and operational policy and procedures to ensure constant compliance with IRC and donor policies across the program
- Promote coordination and teamwork between program and operations staff to improve quality of proposal submissions and program delivery
Human Resource Management, Staff Development & Retention
- Develop a positive work environment for all staff supported by a professional level human resource management function
- Support and hold management staff accountable for providing staff development opportunities and planning
- Graduate degree in relevant field;
- At least ten years of international work experience covering both emergency and post-conflict development programming;
- Extensive program development and fund raising experience, prior experience with European, US and international donors;
- Strong human resource management skills including capacity building and mentoring;
- Experience supervising and managing a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural setting;
- Demonstrated success in managing projects;
- Previous budget and fiscal oversight responsibilities;
- A keen understanding of political complexities in the region, as they relate to post conflict recovery;
- Ability to work and live in a complex environment.
- Strong security management experience, ability to work under extremely volatile conditions
- French and English fluency required