Internews seeks a Chief of Party for a potential USAID-funded media support program in Ukraine. S/he will provide strategic guidance and leadership; oversee activities involving Ukrainian media outlets and media support organizations, among other potential beneficiaries; supervise program personnel, financial management, and administration; and coordinate with USAID and other media stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews leverages existing resources, avoids duplication, and complements other media development initiatives. S/he will also be responsible for establishing strong partnerships with counterparts across the country and with the appropriate donor representatives. Programmatic and financial management of the program will be supported by Internews’ Europe and Eurasia team and administrative staff, ensuring that all program operations meet Internews’ quality standards and are carried out in accordance with relevant rules and regulations. The position will be based in Kyiv, Ukraine.
Note : Hiring will be dependent upon receipt of funding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, other duties may be assigned:
- Provide strategic, operational and representational leadership to ensure that activities are meeting their goals and targets on time and within budget, recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the program on track.
- Manage and oversee organization and implementation of activities that take place throughout Ukraine. Supervise staff and coordinate with partners based throughout Ukraine. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organizational policies and applicable local laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints, and resolving problems.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with partner organizations throughout the country and ensure that program implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries.
- Oversee development of program reports, communications materials, and other program documentation in collaboration with Internews staff and according to award stipulations.
- Serve as the public face and primary point of contact on the program for in- country and international donor missions and stakeholders.
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and to measure program impact.
- Maintain strategic awareness of independent media issues in the country and within the broader region, and a thorough understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media, especially online digital media.
- Ensure the program is in compliance with all donor rules, requirements, and regulations, as well as with Internews’ internal policies and procedures.
- Serve as the final budget authority over the program, ultimately responsible for ensuring that costs charged to the program are allowable, reasonable, and correctly allocated.
- Maintain regular communications with Internews headquarters staff to communicate progress on programming and address upcoming issues in advance.
- Provide support as necessary for developing new relationships and business initiatives.
- Provide supervisory and implementation support for other projects in Internews’ Ukraine portfolio, including leadership and administrative support and guidance, budgetary oversight, and regulatory compliance, to ensure Internews’ activities in country and are complementary and amplify individual project results.
- Work collaboratively with Internews’ Europe and Eurasia and Program Support teams to develop and carry out strategic business development goals that expand and strengthen Internews’ organizational role and positioning in country and among US and international stakeholders.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 5- 10 years’ years of experience in a senior management role overseeing complex, large-scale development programs in the media or broader democracy and governance sector. Experience serving as Chief of Party on USAID-funded programs is strongly preferred.
- Experience working in Ukraine or Eastern Europe strongly preferred.
- Deep understanding of the media sector in Ukraine, as well as working knowledge of the broader media environment in Eastern Europe and the post- Soviet countries.
- Professional experience working as a media professional on either the editorial or business side of a media outlet preferred.
- A successful track record in supervising, designing, managing and implementing technical assistance for donor-funded media programs and proven ability to develop and monitor work plans, training plans, and procurement plans.
- Proven ability to develop, manage, and nurture working relationships among diverse groups of national and multilateral stakeholders, donors, private sector partners, media outlets, and civic groups.
- Demonstrated skills in leading strategic development, establishing priorities, and using data to inform adjustments.
- Demonstrated staff management and mentoring abilities.
- Experience leveraging other sources of funding to advance programmatic objectives.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- English fluency required, Ukrainian and/or Russian proficiency preferred.
- Relevant university degree required.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.