Internews is seeking a potential Chief of Party (CoP) candidate for a USAID-funded media strengthening initiative with the general goal of further increasing citizens’ access to information and improving the sustainability of the local media sector. The core purpose of the COP is to provide overall leadership in the management and implementation of the proposed program. He or She will be responsible for the management and oversight of the proposed program, including the preparation of work-plans, monitor activity progress, timely delivery of all reporting and deliverables, ensure performance quality and compliance with USAID rules and regulations. Furthermore, this position will lead planning, coordination and implementation efforts, with the media sector actors and other relevant stakeholders. The COP will supervise all other activity staff, including technical officers.
NOTE: Hiring is dependent upon Internews receiving award funding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Provide overall leadership management and general direction of the entire program, ensuring an integrated vision among all partners and consortium members and media stakeholders;
- Manage the overall day-to-day management and administration of program operations, including different units and offices, deciding on best way to proceed in order to ensure
- efficiency and effectiveness of program operations;
- Represent the program and Internews before different stakeholders, including media sector actors, government entities and USAID;
- Ensure coherence and consistency throughout the entire program implementation in spite urgent deadlines;
- Provide overall supervision of professional, technical and support staff and assemble teams and operating units to work on the various activities to achieve program results;
- Ensure that program provides an Equal Employment Opportunity for all staff and is free from any form of discrimination of harassment;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries;
- Track and report project progress and activities monthly against work plans;
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation in the region to ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities;
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of independent media issues in the region (print, broadcast and new media), and a general understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media across the region;
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all grant and cooperative agreement rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews internal policies and procedures;
- Ensures that the program promotes gender equality, works extensively through local media systems, improves business sustainability and builds local actors’ self-reliance and engages and empowers youth;
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the project, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable and correctly allocated;
- Accept fiduciary responsibility for all funds advanced for the purpose of the project;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Manage and oversee all staff based in the country. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Significant professional experience in either print, broadcast or new media;
- Experience as a manager or trainer with professional capacity-building programs for journalists and media outlets;
- Previous senior-level management experience, including significant staff, financial and administrative oversight;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Experience managing in the region is highly desired;
- Fluent in English and Portuguese.
- At least 15 years of demonstrated expertise strongly preferred in effective program and organizational management /Leadership;
- Demonstrated expertise in building effective partnerships and engaging local private, civil society and government institutions;
- Demonstrated expertise in effective adult skills building and organizational learning;
- Demonstrated expertise in fostering program learning, monitoring and evaluation;
- Demonstrated expertise in integrating gender effectively into programs and managing diverse and multiple teams;
- International experience in developing country contexts and emerging democracies;
- At least 10 years of demonstrated expertise strongly preferred in building effective media organizations and association’s organizational development;
- Experience managing USAID projects and/or other international development programs strongly preferred;
- At least 5 years prior experience working in Mozambique; and
- Master’s Degree (equivalent) in Business Management or Organization Development strongly preferred.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.