Chemonics seeks a chief of party for the anticipated five-year, $25-50 million USAID-funded Nepal Civil Society and Media Activity. This program seeks to improve the effectiveness of civil society organizations and media actors, with priority at the municipal level, in strengthening public and private sector accountability, advancing fundamental freedoms, and improving equitable access to higher quality public services. This position is based in Kathmandu. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- The chief of party will be responsible for leading technical assistance that supports Nepali civil society organizations and media actors
- Drive overall strategy and supervise teams including providing project management, operations, and financial leadership to attain the program goals
- Lead the strategic planning of the project, such as annual work planning, oversee implementation of workplan activities and delivery of annual targets
- Serve as the primary liaison between USAID, government counterparts, program stakeholders, implementing partners, private sector entities, and Chemonics’ program management unit on all program related matters
- Ensure technical activities are responsive to the project’s objective of improving the effectiveness of civil society organizations and media actors
- Identify issues and risk associated with project implementation in a timely manner and guide appropriate adjustments
- Administer the project’s financial oversight and procedures, ensuring compliance with local labor laws, USAID regulations, and Chemonics policies and procedures
- Facilitate close collaboration and teamwork, including mentorship and development of local technical and administrative staff
- Plan and track financial and administrative activities with the home and field offices to evaluate implementation needs
- Monitor project financial performance against work plan and life-of-project budgets
- A master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field such as international relations, political science, journalism, public administration, law, or peace/conflict studies is required; or a bachelor’s degree with at least 12 years of professional experience and six years of supervisory experience
- Minimum of 10 years of senior-level professional experience with a donor, contractor, or international NGO, managing an office or program
- Experience leading complex international development programs as a chief of party or team leader is required; leadership experience on civil society strengthening or media related projects preferred
- Demonstrated experience overseeing, managing, or leading monitoring and evaluation processes, previous experience managing grants under contract is a plus
- Exceptional communication skills with a proven ability to foster a cohesive and collaborative environment with donors, government stakeholders, private sector entities, and project staff
- Prior experience with USAID operating procedures, regulations, and reporting requirements preferred
- Familiarity with Nepal’s civil society and media environment is preferred
- Experience in South or Southeast Asia is required; experience in Nepal is preferred
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in English required
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and “Chief of Party” in the subject line to NepalCivilSocietyandMediaRecruit@chemonics.com no later than January 22, 2021. No telephone inquiries, please. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis and shortlisted candidates will be contacted via email.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.