The ways that media and information shape our world is the issue of our time, and Internews is uniquely positioned to play a significant role in how this influence affects the lives of millions of people around the world.
We are a social-impact organization dedicated to building healthy, trusted and relevant media and information systems in countries and communities where they struggle to exist. We envision a world where everyone, everywhere can access, create and exchange the news and information they need to shape their communities and the world.
We are seeking a dynamic candidate who brings a passion for learning and a spirit of curiosity to their work. Internews is a very diverse organization globally. We value the perspectives that result from the inclusivity of different voices, and the foundation of our work is to support free and open communications between people of all backgrounds. We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven people who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We are an EEO employer and strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for any of our open positions.
The Business Development Associate provides technical, administrative and finance support for business development activities with public and private sector donors at Internews. This position is expected to perform complicated tasks requiring prior experience, education and/or training. The Business Development Associate works within the Global Development team to increase funding in support of Internews’ mission by researching and engaging in fundraising activities with prospective and current public and private sector donors for increasing restricted funds at Internews. Working under the leadership of the Vice President for Global Development, as well as the Senior Director for Global Development, the Business Development Associate will contribute as a member of a team to a strategic approach to business development at Internews to ensure the organization raises over $65,000,000 annually from public sector donors, including USAID, the US State department, the Canadian government and AusAid among others and over $3,000,000 from private foundation donors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned as required.
Tracking Business Development Opportunities:
- Conducts research as required for new mechanisms, priorities, initiatives and/or background information on public sector donors.
- Works with Global Development, Program and Technical teams to identify specific new opportunities with public sector donors through monitoring websites on-line, as well as through subscription services.
- Evaluates whether opportunities found fit within Internews’ mission and vision, and then summarizes and distributes likely opportunities from donors.
- Focusing on prioritized opportunities, develops and maintains an internal business development tracker of solicitations, as well as due dates for upcoming proposals and concept notes.
Maintaining Business Development Competitive Information
- Manages the list of business development managers and/or decision makers at partner organizations and ensures that these contacts are updated routinely in Salesforce.
- Maintains and updates public sector donor contact records in Salesforce as required.
- Tracks and maintains records of public and private sector support.
- Contributes to Internews’ opportunity tracking system in Agresso for concept notes and proposals.
- Supports the Vice President of Global Development in reporting on targets for business development at Internews.
- Working with other Global Development staff members, maintains and supports up to date organizational capacity records on internal knowledge sharing systems.
- Takes the lead in generating content/text for requests for information for USAID solicitations, working with program and technical staff member and the Vice President for Global Development to finalize.
- Assists with proposals and concept notes to public and private sector donors, including conducting basic desk research, document formatting, and development of situation analysis, capacity statements, past performance references, and formatting of CVs/resumes/short bio-graphics.
- Develops timelines for concept note and proposal submissions and reviews donor guidelines to ensure full compliance with all donor requirements.
- Develops outlines/writing guides for technical and program staff and other BD managers as required.
Meetings, Scheduling & Administrative:
- Participates in weekly Global Development coordination meetings, taking notes and minutes as required. May facilitate the meetings as requested and required.
- Produces expense reports as required.
- Coordinates kick-off and/or design meetings for proposals as required.
- Working with the Sr. Director of Business Development and the Director of Private Development and Outreach prepares presentation materials – including Powerpoint presentations and briefing papers for donor or partner pitches, or internal audiences, as required.
- Collaborates closely with the Communications department to develop website content to maximize Internews’ relationships with key donors, as well as Internews’ overall brand image on-line.
In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- At least 1 year of prior work experience, preferably in the non-profit, communications or international development field.
- Passion for the role of media and increased access to information in changing lives.
- Relevant undergraduate University degree required.
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills.
- Superior writing skills with demonstrated ability to translate complicated technical material into easy to read and compelling text.
- Ability to both edit others writing and to accept feedback on written text with grace and humor.
- Proven organization skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Proven ability to multi-task and prioritize within the context of a flexible and shifting workload.
- Ability to handle sensitive donor information with the utmost discretion.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the demonstrated ability to maintain a sense of calm, and project a sense of humor in the face of strict deadlines.
- Must be able and willing to work well with a diverse range of colleagues to achieve ambitious fundraising targets. Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed both to domestic and/or international destinations, possibly to difficult international environments. (Travel is not expected to exceed 20% LOE for this position.)
- Proficient with Microsoft Outlook, MS Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word and internet research.
Preferred, but not required
- Prior experience with Saleforce.
- Spanish, French or Portuguese language skills a plus.
This position is bring offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Networks’ offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.