The EBRD’s Office of the General Counsel is at the core of the EBRD’s mandate to support the transition process in 38 economies from the Southern and Eastern Mediterranean, Central and Eastern Europe and Central Asia. The Office of the General Counsel handles all legal aspects of the EBRD’s lending and investment transactions, provides legal advice for institutional and administrative matters, and implements legal technical assistance programmes to support law reform in the region.
The Office of the General Counsel is seeking an outstanding lawyer to join the department’s Associate Programme. Associates have the opportunity to contribute appropriate country, language and academic knowledge to support the institution and facilitate its operations. The role will be based in London.
Successful candidates will be offered a 2 year fixed term contract, beginning on or around 1 January 2022.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
The team to which the Associate will be assigned is OGC Finance which handles legal aspects of the Bank’s borrowing operations under the Bank’s Global MTN programme, commercial paper issuing programme and other types of funding operations both in the international capital markets and in the Bank’s region of operations; derivatives and capital market operations in established and emerging markets (including derivatives, repo and other master agreements) and any other Treasury matters requiring legal advice.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
Candidates from the following jurisdictions are eligible to apply: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Egypt, FYR Macedonia, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Poland, Romania, Russian Federation, Serbia, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan and West Bank & Gaza.
Candidates are expected to have:
- A law degree from a leading university and preferably a post graduate law degree (e.g. LLM) from a leading university in a second jurisdiction.
- Not less than two years prior work experience as a lawyer in private practice or in-house legal team ensuring familiarity with the areas of practice referenced above, including conducting legal research, drafting and negotiating legal documentation.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English. Fluency in an additional language, in particular Russian would be an asset.
- Excellent project management skills, ability to monitor and follow up on many activities concurrently under time constraints and ability to understand and manage priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and client focus.
*Screening and shortlisting will be in November 2021*
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working.