Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of Lao People’s Democratic Republic.
This is a special fixed-term appointment for a period of three (3) years following Section 3.1 (c.) of Administrative Order No. 2.01 (“Recruitment and Appointment’). This appointment is not convertible to a regular appointment. It may be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period at the option of ADB. This appointment is open to internal and external applicants.
If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the term.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in Lao Resident Mission (LRM) within the Southeast Asia Regional Department (SERD). SERD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Southeast Asian region. LRM is responsible for country partnership and strategy, policy dialogue and client relationship, business development, knowledge management, project quality assurance, sector analytic work, and loan and technical assistance processing and administration in Lao PDR.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Associate Project Officer will provide technical expertise and operational support in project processing and administration in the agriculture and natural resources (ANR) sector. The incumbent is expected to take the assigned accountabilities as appropriate to the position and should be able to demonstrate the ability to undertake a variety of assignments independently or in a team under minimal supervision. The incumbent will report to Country Director, LRM.
- Administers project implementation as assigned by way of (i) undertaking Policy/Project Review Missions independently and putting together all the necessary reports (e.g. memorandum of understanding), memos, etc.; (ii) monitoring project progress; (iii) working together with executing and implementing agencies on projections for contract awards and disbursements to ensure target achievements in the ANR sector; and (iv) providing recommendations, solutions and advices to executing agencies on project implementation issues and ADB guidelines.
- Contributes and supports processing of assigned project loans, grants and TA projects; actively takes initiative and responsibility to engage with ADB headquarters relevant departments, government ministries/agencies, development partners, private sector partners, executing agencies and other stakeholders to facilitate the successful processing. Take the lead in hiring and supervising the work of consultants appropriately.
- Contributes to sector work in the field by independently conducting sector research, updating information on the ANR sector, analyzing financial, institutional or economic issues; and preparing reports on the subjects. Acts as the sector focal point for ANR sector and maintains close relationships with relevant Government agencies, Headquarters staff and development partners.
- Actively assists the Project Administration Unit Head to conduct Country Portfolio Review Mission and Quarterly Review Meetings and monitors the overall performance of the portfolio of ADB projects in the specific sector and related subsectors, including preparing the related pre- and post-mission documentation.
- Undertakes assigned special portfolio management activities (e.g. procurement reviews; sector reviews), and liaise with Government agencies related to portfolio management.
- Prepares Project Completion Reports (PCRs) / TA Completion Reports (TCRs) as and when assigned.
- Actively disseminates information on ADB activities to development stakeholders and the public, as well as briefs and discusses assigned sector issues with local media.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, engineering, or related fields, preferably with Master’s Degree or equivalent.
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in project management and implementation.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Lao language are required.
• Proven application of expertise and experience within a specific area (economic, sector or thematic), or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area.
• Experience and knowledge of various stages of the project cycle (project planning / feasibility analysis / detailed design / project implementation / construction supervision / contract management) is desirable.
• Sound knowledge of government administrative systems and procedures.
• Familiarity with accepted best practices of procurement, disbursement processes, and safeguards.
• Clear understanding of the economic, political, social and developmental issues specific to the country.
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff level 1.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.