Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of India.
This is a special fixed-term appointment for a period of three (3) years following Section 3.1 (c.) of Administrative Order No. 2.01 (“Recruitment and Appointment’). This appointment is not convertible to a regular appointment. It may be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period at the option of ADB. This appointment is open to internal and external applicants.
If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the term.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in India Resident Mission (INRM) within the South Asia Department (SARD). INRM assists in the project implementation of the loans and technical assistance (TA) projects and supports the ADB HQ in processing new loans in India.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
To provide administrative and analytical support to the functions of the project development unit (PDU) of the INRM, including project planning, processing, and project/TA administration, and associated project/ program conceptualization activities, under the guidance of the designated international staff (IS) and senior national staff (NS).
Works independently on all or a combination of the following transactions and/or clearly defined areas:
• Reviews various procurement documents, for example, pre-qualification documents, bid documents, bid evaluation reports, contract awards-related documents/reports; prepares necessary internal approval forms, assists in drafting various papers (for example, procurement papers for award of contracts), and correspondences as required;
• Assists in monitoring physical progress in projects/ technical assistance (TA) implementation, for example, by following up on outstanding obligations of executing agencies (EAs) to expedite procurement/contract awards;
• Maintains records needed to monitor compliance with loan/grant covenants such as the submission of monthly and/or quarterly progress reports, safeguard compliance reports, and benefit monitoring and evaluation reports;
• Follow up with EAs on timely submission of project progress reports, audited financial statements and audited project accounts. Monitors the implementation progress of loan/TA projects by reviewing project files and the progress reports submitted by EAs. Updates project performance reports and technical assistance performance reports;
• Participates in various processing, administration, and project completion report (PCR) missions by providing support in consolidating /collecting requisite data and information;
• Supports the administration of the team’s TA and other studies, including the recruitment of consultants and their contract administration;
• Familiarizes EAs with ADB’s loan/TA procedures, ensuring their compliance with project covenants and assisting them where necessary in the preparation of various reports and applications;
• Collects, compiles and updates information on the project/ program development activities of the Team, at state, sector, and project levels through systematic filing mechanisms;
• Maintains and updates sector and thematic strategies and perspectives in communication with the concerned sector divisions and sector/ thematic groups;
• Coordinates with relevant government agencies to support the team’s initiatives on project conceptualization and development;
• Assists during preparation of PCR, including compilation of various information related to various milestones of project, financial management, disbursement and compliance of loan convents;
• Supports the preparation of periodic reporting and activity planning of the Team, and consultations with the INRM and SARD management; and
• Performs other tasks as assigned and reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering/architecture/planning or equivalent academic qualification;
• Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level;
• At least 5 years of relevant experience in infrastructure sectors, project related activities;
• Sound understanding of procedures and practices related to project development, and processing. Related experience in international agencies will be preferred;
• Good analytical thinking with ability to reach a decision and sets priorities for tasks in order of importance;
• Proven ability to work independently on assigned transactions, undertake background research and analysis on difficult and well-defined tasks, collect and organize required data and information, apply appropriate computer skills in analyzing and developing data, and in preparing notes, papers and sections of reports;
• Experience and knowledge of various stages of the project cycle including procurement, contract administration, and progress management. Understanding and knowledge of Federation International des lngenieurs-Conseils (FIDIC) /various contract modalities of contract will be an advantage;
• Ability to establish and maintain productive contacts with appropriate officials of host government, donor agencies and executing agencies; and able to work collaboratively with teams within own work location and with colleagues throughout ADB as a constructive team member.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; effective report-writing and communication skills in English and familiarity with local languages and institutions;
• Strong interpersonal skills suitable for multicultural environment; and familiarity with local languages and institutions;
• Proficiency in the use of technology packages (common word-processing, spreadsheets and graphics, PowerPoint and web-browsing and search engines;
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for Administrative Staff Levels 6 – 7.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.