Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture Division (SAER) within the South Asia Department (SARD). SARD is responsible for providing leadership innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work that covers operations in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.Job Purpose
The Associate Project Analyst will provide analytical support for (i) project administration and portfolio management, (ii) project processing and implementation, (iii) coordinates and consolidates information to achieve specific functional results, and (iv) other tasks. The incumbent will report to the designated international staff and senior national staff.
Project Processing, Administration and Portfolio Management
• Supports administration actions during project processing which may include procurement-related advance action activities and review of project-readiness filters to ensure quality-at-entry, and contribute to the preparation and update of Project Administration Manuals (PAM)/Facility Administration Manuals (FAM)/Program Implementation Document (PID) by consolidating data and information for appendixes, drafting project description and scope, project cost and financing plan, procurement plan, selection procedures and terms of reference for the consulting services, design and monitoring framework, loan covenants, and others.
• Assists in the maintenance of project records in ADB systems, recruitment of project processing consultants, monitoring project implementation progress, and analyzing in detail the problems encountered by the projects flagged “at risk” and recommend remedial measures.
• Maintains records needed to monitor compliance with project/TA milestones, and loan/grant covenants; follows up outstanding obligations of executing agencies (EA), such as the submission of monthly and/or quarterly progress reports, safeguard compliance reports, and key performance indicators monitoring and evaluation reports, and inputs data on the status of such compliance in e-Operations.
• Prepares and updates individual Project (loan/grant/TA) Performance Reports in the ADB project database (eOperations) on a regular basis, and participates in the departmental portfolio meetings and missions as needed.
• Compiles data and statistics on contract awards and disbursements to support reports to the management, monitors and analyzes the actual awards and disbursements against targets, and follows up these matters with the Executing Agencies (EA). Reconciles project accounts and monitors disbursement status, imprest accounts as well as creation and closing of accounts.
• Monitors compliance with loan and grant covenants, follow up outstanding obligations of EA, and input data on the status of such compliance into e-Operations.
• Assists in (a) the review of project administration documents such as request for proposal, bid evaluation report, contract awards-related documents/reports, and draft procurement-related papers and other reports, and (b) applying project administration rules and procedures, such as the Loan/Grant Regulations, Project Administration Instructions, loan/grant/TA disbursement handbooks, and financial management handbook.
• Assists mission leader(s) in identifying and resolving project administration issues and undertaking project changes as needed; and updating PAM/FAM/PID, including projections for contract awards and disbursements, and procurement plans.
• Monitors EAs’ submission of audited financial statements and/or project accounts and assists in reviewing the submitted audit reports.
• Supports mission leader/s in preparing sections of the Report and Recommendation of the President (RRP) and TA papers, especially on project implementation arrangements (e.g. procurement, disbursement), and reports related to portfolio management.
• Supports mission leader/s in preparing project and portfolio financial and performance data and other analyses for knowledge products.
• Supports missions leader in preparing project and TA completion reports
• Guides Operations Assistants, and EA counterparts on project administration
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree preferably in finance, business administration, social development, communications;
• At least 5 years of relevant professional experience;
• Experience working in development projects and/or international agencies preferred
• Ability to quickly grasp ADB’s operational processes and procedures.
• Proven ability to undertake background research and analysis on difficult but well-defined tasks, collect and organize required data and information, apply appropriate computer skills in analyzing and developing data; and prepare notes, papers and sections of reports.
• Good analytical thinking.
• Proven ability to work independently on assigned transactions, areas of analysis and research, which have well-defined scope and steps.
• Ability to conduct cost-benefit analysis to support decision-making.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
• Proficiency in spreadsheets and required information technologies.
• Ability to provide guidance to other AS staff on assigned area of work.
• Ability to liaise and work effectively and collaboratively with government officials within own work location and with colleagues throughout ADB.
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for Administrative Staff 6.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.