Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Urban Development and Water Division (SAUW) within the South Asia Department (SARD). SARD is responsible for providing leadership, innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work that covers operations in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. SAUW is responsible for sector support for water and urban development.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.Job Purpose
The Associate Operations Officer provides support and coordination to the processing and portfolio performance of the division by performing specific responsibilities. In particular, the position is responsible for providing technical inputs in project processing; ensuring efficient project processing; support human resource management; coordination with front office and outside departments relating to project processing, cofinancing, climate financing, grant financing, etc; division’s administration (training, human resources, quality control of documents, and budget administration).
The incumbent will report to Director, SAUW, and designated international staff on specific project-related matters.
- Initiate the preparation of divisional business travel and staff consultant requirements for the submission of bi-annual divisional budget and staff resource requirement report. Monitor utilization and ensure compliance with established norms.
- Support the preparation of division’s work program, inputs for the department’s work program and budget framework (WPBF), and other key result areas. Monitor and report the achievements against targets.
- Perform administrative functions to support the division Director, including monitoring quality at entry of various reports, drafting correspondence, and coordinating workload and other administrative support staff concerns.
- Review staff complement in coordination with the departmental and BPHP focal persons and support the Director in human resources related matters: hiring, promotions, among others.
- Ensure efficient and timely processing by coordinating with team leaders, resident missions, and front office to maintain updated reverse-clock; and keep Director updated about changes to the reverse clock.
- Support the development and implementation of divisional training program in line with the department’s initiatives and learning programs offered by BPPP and other departments. Maintain a data base of past staff training, resource availability for training and help Director in preparing annual workplan for training program for SARD urban and water team (HQ and RM together).
- Supervise and monitor various databases: eOperations (eOps), eTrip, Budget Monitoring and Control System (BMCS), and Consultant Management System (CMS), etc.
- Assist Director in maintaining and managing cofinancing, technical assistance trust funds, climate change related matters, among others.
- Provide preliminary review of Reports and Recommendation of the President (RRPs) and Project Administration Memorandum/Facility Administration Manual (PAM/FAM) for assigned projects and comment on their implementation arrangements taking into account lessons learned from previous projects and compliance with procurement policies and procedures. For assigned projects, review procurement plans, contract packaging, cost estimates, financing plan, and consultant terms of reference in RRPs, PAM, or FAM to maintain consistency, accuracy and effectiveness.
- Act as mentor to new or junior local staff on project processing and administration matters.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by supervisors.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in in finance, business administration or related fields.
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience.
- Knowledge and experience in project processing, project administration, data management and reporting, and general administration. Knowledge and experience in procurement issues is an advantage.
- Ability to research, analyze and check data from external and internal sources, reconcile or explain inconsistencies and perform statistical calculations.
- Proficiency in database management method.
- High level of proficiency in use of the Internet and standard computer applications
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Levels 1-2.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.