Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This position is for outposting to India Resident Mission (INRM) and is open to internal and external applicants.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of India.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position, which is outposted to India Resident Mission (INRM), is assigned in the Portfolio Management Division (PSPM) within the Private Sector Operations Department (PSOD). PSPM is accountable for the pro-active management, reporting and review of ADB’s growing private sector debt and guarantee portfolio, including overseeing project implementation and administration as well as managing client relationships over a diverse range of sectors and geographies. PSPM is responsible for managing all risk aspects of the portfolio including credit risk, safeguards risk, integrity risk, as well as the delivery of the development effectiveness goals of projects.
PSOD provides investment capital to private sector entrepreneurs, corporates and project sponsors, as well as financial intermediaries, such as banks, throughout developing Asia. It catalyzes, structure, and fund investments in privately held and state-sponsored companies across a wide range of industry sectors. Its emphasis is on commercially viable transactions that generate financial returns while also delivering on ADB’s organization-wide mission to promote environmentally sustainable and inclusive economic growth. To learn more about PSOD, watch this video.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Investment Officer will be part of PSPM’s Financial Institutions (FI) team which covers clients throughout ADB’s developing member countries (DMCs), ranging from microfinance institutions and leasing companies to large universal banks. The incumbent provides direct technical support to dealing officers from both origination, (while the transaction is signed and closed) and portfolio teams. The position is responsible for all risk and client relationship aspects of assigned transactions from first disbursement to final repayment and works with FI borrowers, multiple PSOD staff and a wide range of internal and external stakeholders. There will be frequent travel to DMCs. The staff will report to the designated PSPM International Staff (IS) on substantive technical, policy-related and operational aspects. For administrative matters, both designated PSPM IS and Country Director, INRM are to be consulted.
Engagement with INRM colleagues, across functions, is a requisite of the position, with strong knowledge sharing, and involvement in a wide variety of India focused ADB initiatives.
a. Credit monitoring
• With limited guidance, independently undertakes the preparation of credit monitoring reports (annual, semiannual or quarterly);
• With limited guidance, independently analyzes client financial data, problems and remedial actions, and performing valuation of equity based on standard financial models;
• Works directly with dealing officers regarding warning signals or potential problems in transactions and design and coordinating remedial action; and
• Participates in missions related to monitoring of projects.
b. Project monitoring
• With limited guidance, independently ensures adherence by clients to their obligations for submission to ADB of periodic reports on time and accurately and make follow-ups;
• Undertakes direct communication with clients in case of covenant breaches or unexpected developments in a transaction;
• Directly works with clients and other PSPM staff to design remedial measures (waivers, demand letters, others) and implement them jointly with other ADB departments (Office of Risk Management, Office of the General Counsel, Treasury Department, Controller’s Department and others);
• Independently monitors the development effectiveness parameters and environmental and social management system compliance of transactions for compilation in PSOD’s Development Effectiveness Report;
• Directly implements technical advisory programs arranged for clients or projects; and
• Directly supports client-relationship management and participates in face-to-face meetings and/or business trips.
• With limited guidance, independently ensures processing of disbursement requests, review of withdrawal applications, verification of compliance with disbursement conditions and/or loan covenants, follow up on submission of required documents and review of their completeness and/or validity;
• Independently prepares correspondence, and re-estimates project costs and ADB’s share of financing commitments;
• With limited guidance, independently ensures the development of disbursement projections, actual disbursements, and tracking of shortfalls and identify the underlying causes of such shortfalls.
d. Database maintenance
• Ensures completeness of database of legal documentation, financing and security documents and project contracts for new project approvals, as well as completeness of documents created in PSPM post-origination; and
• Contributes and supports the creation and maintenance of project related databases, tracking portfolio size, composition, and other characteristics, for management information.
e. Project Annual Reviews and Project Completion Reports
• With limited guidance, independently performs desk review, collects data, assesses financial and developmental performance of projects, conducts interviews and participates in missions to evaluate projects for extended annual review reports (XARR); and
• With limited guidance, independently prepares XARRs jointly with PSOD staff or consultants
f. Administrative, Special Projects and Planning and Division Support
• Contributes and participates in the planning of various initiatives designed to facilitate PSPM’s interaction with other ADB departments and in the development of systems and procedures to facilitate liaison and contact with partner institutions;
• Contributes and participates actively in different special projects assigned by the supervisor, uses strong data analysis and presentation skills for these projects and leads them where required independently; and
• Coordinates the preparation of inputs for the annual work program and/or budget and assist with finalization of PSPM’s submissions related to ADB’s annual planning and budget exercises and mid-year reviews of annual budgets.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in finance, business or related fields, preferably with advanced training, Master’s degree or equivalent
• At least 6 years work experience, preferably focused on financial institutions ector, in credit lending and/or equity investments in financial institutions, preferably with a leading international financial institution, investment bank, infrastructure fund or consultancy firm; experience in corporate finance, project finance or infrastructure finance will be an added advantage;
• Excellent understanding of finance business principles and strong skills in client management.
• Strong financial and credit analysis skills in multiple financial products including loan, equity investments, and guarantee .
• Strong analytical thinking skills, with ability to comprehend causal links, make pros- and cons analysis, and analyze factors to reach a decision.
• Ability to independently identify tasks and priorities within the area of responsibility and to formulate and execute plans for the completion of such tasks.
• Advanced MS Excel and Powerpoint as well as data analysis and presentations skills a must.
• Proven ability to undertake research and analysis on difficult tasks.
• Ability to collect and organize required data and information, apply appropriate computer skills in analyzing and organizing the data, and prepare notes, papers and detailed, reports.
• Skills and confidence required to conduct discussions and negotiations with clients with limited supervision.
• Ability to work with teams in a multicultural setting
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Levels 1 and 2.
The position is a local staff position with local remuneration package. It is open to persons who are both nationals and residents of India.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package (check Local Staff Field Offices). Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.