This position is for outposting to the India Resident Mission (INRM) in New Delhi and will predominantly cover transactions in India and neighboring countries. This vacancy is a local staff position with local remuneration package. It is open only to nationals and residents of India.
PSPM is looking to fill one position for highly qualified candidate in the Infrastructure team, respectively. Candidates should have experience in understanding, developmentally and financially, debt, equity and guarantee transactions in Infrastructure and Financial Institution sectors.
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members
The position, is assigned to the Portfolio Management Division (PSPM) within the Private Sector Operations Department (PSOD). PSOD provides investment capital to private sector entrepreneurs, corporates and project sponsors, as well as to financial intermediaries, such as banks, throughout developing Asia. It catalyzes, structures, and funds investments in privately held and state-sponsored companies across a wide range of industry sectors.
To learn more about PSOD, watch our video on “Working with ADB on Private Sector Financing”.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Associate Investment Officer works as a member of the deal team alongside dealing officers from both origination (while the transaction is signed and closed) and portfolio teams. The position is responsible for all analysis, risk management and client relationship aspects of assigned transactions from first disbursement to final repayment. It involves working with borrowers, multiple PSOD staff and a wide range of internal and external stakeholders. The incumbent will report to designated PSPM international staff on substantive technical, policy-related and operational aspects and Country Director, INRM for day-to-day administrative matters. The position will be located in ADB’s office in New Delhi and will predominantly cover transactions in India and neighboring countries. The role may involve travel to ADB’s developing member countries. It may involve travel to ADB’s developing member countries.
- Prepares credit monitoring reports (annual, semiannual or quarterly);
- Analyzes client financial data, problems and remedial actions, and performs valuation of equity based on standard financial models;
- Works with dealing officers regarding warning signals or potential problems in transactions and design and coordinates remedial action; and
- Participates in missions related to monitoring of projects.
- Ensures adherence by clients to their obligations for timely and accurate submission to ADB of periodic reports and follows up as needed;
- Communicates with clients in case of covenant breaches or unexpected developments in a transaction;
- Works with clients and other PSPM staff to design remedial measures (waivers, demand letters, others) and implements them jointly with other ADB departments (Office of Risk Management, Office of the General Counsel, Treasury Department, Controller’s Department and others);
- Monitors the development effectiveness parameters and environmental and social management system compliance of transactions for compilation in PSOD’s Development Effectiveness Report;
- Implements technical advisory programs arranged for clients or projects; and
- supports client-relationship management and participates in face to face meetings and/or business trips.
- Ensures processing of disbursement requests, review of withdrawal applications, verification of compliance with disbursement conditions and/or loan covenants, follow up on submission of required documents and review of their completeness and/or validity;
- Prepares correspondence, and re-estimates project costs and ADB’s share of financing commitments; and
- Ensures the development of disbursement projections, actual disbursements, and tracking of shortfalls and identify the underlying causes of such shortfalls.
- Ensures completeness of database of legal documentation, financing and security documents and project contracts for new project approvals, as well as completeness of documents created in PSPM post-origination; and
- Supports the creation and maintenance of project related databases, tracking portfolio size, composition, and other characteristics, for management information.
Project Annual Reviews and Project Completion Reports
- Performs desk review, collects data, assesses financial and developmental performance of projects, conducts interviews and participates in missions to evaluate projects for extended annual review reports (XARR); and
- Prepares XARRs jointly with PSOD staff or consultants.
Administrative and Planning Support
- Participates in the planning of various initiatives designed to facilitate PSPM’s interaction with other departments and in the development of systems and procedures to facilitate liaison and contact with partner institutions; and
- Coordinate the preparation of inputs for the annual work program and/or budget and assists in finalizing PSPM’s submissions related to ADB’s annual planning and budget exercises and mid-year reviews of annual budgets.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business or related fields, preferably with advanced training
- At least 6 years of relevant work experience in credit lending and equity investments in corporate finance, project finance, infrastructure finance, or financial institutions preferably with a leading international financial institution, investment bank, infrastructure fund or consultancy firm.
- Excellent understanding of finance business principles and strong skills in client management.
- Strong financial and credit analysis skills in multiple financial products including loan, equity investments, and guarantee.
- Strong analytical thinking, with ability to comprehend causal links, make pros-and-cons analysis, and analyze factors to reach a decision.
- Proven ability to undertake research and analysis on difficult tasks.
- Good negotiations skills
- Able to work in a multicultural setting and strong team player
- Excellent written including effective report writing and verbal communication skills in English
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Levels 1 to 2.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of India.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.