Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Pakistan Resident Mission (PRM) within the Central and West Asia Department (CWRD). CWRD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Central and West Asia region. PRM works closely with government agencies, development partners, private sector partners, and other stakeholders to deliver the successful formulation, processing, administration and monitoring of ADB-financed loan and technical assistance (TA) projects in Energy, Transport, Urban and Water, Agriculture, Social & Health, Financial, Information and Communications Technology, etc.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Associate Financial Control Analyst provides support through the performance of a variety of specialized duties relating to loan disbursement functions of the Pakistan Resident Mission. The incumbent will report to designated International and/or Senior National staff.
- Processes withdrawal applications (WAs) for Direct Payment, Reimbursement and Advance Fund Liquidation/Replenishment of all ADB loans and grants in Pakistan, ensuring that the Controller’s Department’s Service Level Standards are met. Also, responsible for pre-screening of WAs relating to co-financed loans and WAs relating to Program Loans and Commitment procedure. Ensures compliance with all ADB Disbursement policies and procedures relating to processing of WAs. Close coordination with Executing Agencies (EAs) to address deficiencies in WAs, rejection of ineligible claims, timely submission of WAs by EAs, communication of processing status of claims, monitoring of advance account turn over ratios. Also responsible for processing of claims relating to increase in advance account advances and/or advance account ceiling enhancements and other related matters.
- Assists in initial and continued training and guidance of EA staff on ADB disbursement policies and procedures and related government regulations on advance account operations, ADB’s client portal system, and other disbursement matters. This includes participation and contribution in related field missions, workshops, seminars, training sessions and meetings with EA in ADB on disbursement matters and verbal and written communication with EAs on specific queries. Also, responsible to participate as a resource person in various loan disbursement seminars organized by PRM and the Controller’s Department.
- Assists in reviewing all expenditures incurred and claimed by EAs under Statement of Expenditure (SOE) procedure on a sampling basis, for ensuring compliance with all related ADB requirements. Assists in reporting findings of review, including assessment of correctness of expenditure incurred, to the Controller’s Department.
- Assists in reviewing the overall accounting and internal control system of EAs and record maintenance procedures for ascertaining adequacy of design and operational effectiveness for ADB purposes, and participation in submissions of reports to Loan Administration Division (CTLA) thereon.
- Submits inputs for reporting of discrepancies in accounting and internal control system to EAs and recommends improvements, with particular reference to recommendations on opening of sub-accounts where applicable, financial management matters, asset management and other related areas.
- Assists in advance accounts closure for all loans prior to loan closing date. Specific tasks include proactive identification and monitoring of advance account balances, final advance account reconciliation, resolution or agreement with EAs on withheld items and obtaining final refunds where necessary prior to loan account closing.
- Monitors the status of disbursements and WAs of loans assigned and maintains related records. Identifies and reports advance utilization trends and disbursements compared to disbursement projections to Senior/Financial Control Officer, PRM and CTLA for necessary action, if any.
- Assists in compilation and reporting of disbursement-related information for internal and external users on periodic basis as well as upon request.
- Performs other duties that may be assigned as reflected in the incumbent’s workplan
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance and Accounting or relevant professional degree from a recognized institution.
• Preferably Chartered Accountant or similar professional qualifications in accounting, auditing, or related areas.
• At least 5 years relevant professional work experience, preferably with at least two years in international multilateral and bilateral agencies.
• Proven ability to work independently on assigned transactions, areas of analysis and research, which have well-defined scope and steps.
• Able to conduct cost-benefit analysis to support decision-making.
• Effective report-writing and communication skills in English.
• Proficient in spreadsheets and required information technologies.
• Familiarity with local languages and government and/or state institutions
Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for AS6
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of Pakistan.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.