Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified candidate for the position of Area Manager, Kakuma Kenya.
About the job
DRC has been active in Kenya since 2005. The Kenya Program provides services and support for refugees residing in Kenya and the refugee hosting communities. The key intervention sectors include Livelihoods, Community Development, Protection and Peaceful co-existence. DRC has operational offices in Nairobi, Kakuma and Kakuma implementing programs directly and in partnership with local NGOs.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Retain an effective team through result-oriented management systems, providing leadership, on-job capacity building and designing staff development strategies.
- Provide direct management of senior program and support staff; provide overview management for the entire Kakuma team.
- Provide on-site support through frequent visits to project sites
- Ensuring the implementation of DRC Risk Management policy at the area level. This includes regular assessment of contextual, programmatic and institutional risks and designing risk mitigation measures.
- Ensure compliance to DRC, donor and national policies, rules, regulations and systems in a timely, responsible, documented, accurate & appropriate manner; ensures that support services are cost effective and efficient.
- Supervising all financial reporting and financial procedures, including the monthly schedule for financial reporting, donor reporting and audits, cash flow and liquidity management. This includes maintaining a master budget for the Area Office and regular monitoring of expenditure against the master budget.
- Ensure that DRC Dynamics(ERP) system is fully used in the area office used in managing Supply Chain, Finance, HR and Grant Management.
- Ensure that programs are based on user-identified needs and resources of the targeted population, are well coordinated with other aid actors, address lessons learned (from DRC and other actors) and steered towards ensuring accountability to the people to whom the services/inputs are indented to serve.
- Ensure programs are developed, implemented and evaluated within clear monitoring systems and against clear people/program/finance planning that meets DRC and donor regulations and humanitarian and CHS principles
- Establish and maintain open and productive dialogue with the county government, relevant line ministries, community leaders, power brokers and relevant aid agencies, private businesses and donors.
To be successful in this role we expect you will responsible for DRCs operations in Kakuma and Kalobeyie Refugee Camps in Turkana County. You will be responsible for the program design and implementation, staff safety and security, programme support functions, personnel management, local community relations, resource allocation and budget management. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Advanced university degree in relevant field (relief, development, recovery)
- Possess at least 5-years relevant experience; at least 3-years’ experience managing large-scale multi-sector programming
- Demonstrate experience in strategic development and program design & writing, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation at least for 5 years. Experience in livelihoods, community development, protection and relief highly desired.
- Practical and extensive financial, HR and administration management experience with extensive knowledge of budget development/management and finance documentation, tracking and archiving; understanding of HR and administration principles and ethics.
- Working experience with UNHCR, ECHO, European Aid, and BPRM
- Have result-oriented management experience of a large, diverse and dynamic team, and a commitment to good leadership. Must have a proven ability to foster teamwork and commitment to on-job training/support.
- Practical and proven skills in negotiation and conflict resolution with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Experience in security and safety management in highly dynamic security environments
- Analytical and problem-solving skills and an ability to work independently and as a team needed.
- Proven excellent communication skills and fluency in written and spoken English essential. Excellent report writing skills is a must.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 1 Year
Level: M: E2
Designation of Duty Station: Non-Family Duty Station
Start date: April, 2020
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact: Pauline.Kagai@drc.ngo
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 26th February, 2020
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.