EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. EDC designs, implements, and evaluates programs to improve education, health, and economic opportunity worldwide. Collaborating with both public and private partners, we strive for a world where all people are empowered to live healthy, productive lives.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace.
The Pathways to College and Careers unit within the Learning and Teaching Division has an opening for a Full-Time Administrative Assistant, reporting to a Senior Project Director, in Waltham, Massachusetts.
Learning and Teaching Division (LTD) is a recognized leader in the design of formal and informal learning environments for children, youth, adults, and educators working in schools, community programs, and other settings. LTD carries out its projects on a national, regional and local level with services that include: research and evaluation; instructional design; technical assistance and capacity building; technology applications that enhance learning.
For this position, we seek a detail-oriented administrative assistant to be part of a team that supports a global network of partners working on a privately-funded science education outreach program. Leadership and technical assistance for the program is provided by the Program Office housed in LTD. The Program Office collaborates with the funder on a number of related initiatives. The desired administrative assistant would support the senior project director and other project staff, and support the Program Office and related initiatives. Work travel would be minimal, but may include 1–2 trips per year in the United States and internationally.
The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies & procedures.
Under supervision, and with knowledge of content area and administrative systems, the Administrative Assistant
• Takes initiative to coordinate support services, including:
– document preparation, photocopying, cataloging, and electronic data handling;
– information tracking
– correspondence and telephoning
– coordinating appointments and travel schedules
– coordinating meeting logistics and providing on-site assistance as needed
– taking notes in meetings and archiving/sending out summaries to project staff
– maintaining inventory
– supporting procurement and purchasing
– preparing and tracking documentation related to vendor contract and consulting agreements
– establishing and monitoring sub-awards
– processing invoices and ensuring their payment
– submitting and tracking reimbursements
– completing supply orders
• Reviews materials for accuracy & quality; proposes format or presentation enhancements
• Performs various assigned duties to balance workload
• Plans, organizes, and independently carries out workload priorities to ensure smooth and timely coordination and production
• Applies organizational terms, procedures, systems, and policies
The Administrative Assistant
• Effectively interacts with diverse staff
• Engages in teamwork; accepts feedback
• Coordinates with others to troubleshoot questions or problems and clarify issues
• Adapts readily
• Seeks help and support as needed
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal & organizational skills. Specific Requirements:
• HS diploma or GED plus 1–2 years advanced training
• AS degree or BA/BS desirable
• With HS diploma, 1–3 years related clerical, secretarial or administrative support experience, including proficiency in 3 or more computer applications
• With other degrees, 0–2 years related experience (as above)
• Excellent communication skills: Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. In addition, the candidate should have the capacity to take excellent action-oriented notes in meetings, and the ability to conduct effective outreach to partners
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint); ability to learn and support use of collaboration software and applications for teleconferencing
• Ability to organize and present materials and information so that they are understandable and accessible to others
EDC, 43 Foundry Ave, Waltham, MA 02453
No phone calls, please
As an EOE/AA employer, EDC does not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status. EDC is a smoke-free workplace.