SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organization, with decentralized management. For more information on our operations in Uganda and SNV generally visit our website: http://www.snv.org
The four year Agricultural project (Contingent to funding) has a key youth empowerment focus. This will involve skills development for selected youth and the linking of selected youth to private sector actors for skills enhancement, for employment and for business opportunities. The project will target four of Uganda’s largest refugee hosting districts: Arua, Madi Okollo, Obongi and Moyo districts all containing a high proportion of people who are economically highly vulnerable, including the youth. This project will also target less-resilient households (including households with vulnerable children), and selected youth members of those households, and will promote social cohesion, women’s empowerment and enhanced environmental management. The main intervention point for all project interventions will be savings and development clusters across above-mentioned districts.
The Position (Contingent to funding)
SNV is recruiting the Youth Skills Development Advisor who will support the implementation of an Agriculture project regarding youth engagement and in the delivery of youth skills development services. The Youth Skills Development Advisor will report functionally to the project manager. The position is provided for 4years.
This position is based in Arua, with periodic travel to Kampala and districts in the West Nile region(Arua, Madi Okollo, Obongi and Moyo)
- plays a leading role in the effort to facilitate the establishment of youth sensitive, market-based models, and to ensure that the target group has access to a vibrant network of agro-input dealers and service providers.
- S/he contributes pro-actively to ensure that the Private Sector engagement and challenge fund components of the project are implemented in an integrated, complementary and efficient manner in line with the youth development component to support, enterprise development and employment opportunities for youth.
- Ensures project progress and reviews quality of own expertise and ensures client support and satisfaction during projects.
- Contributes to internal and external knowledge development.
- ensures lessons learned are shared and applied in daily practice.
- Initiates/ coordinates the review process and evaluation of advisory services in order to collect lessons learned.
- proposes corrective measures and ensures identification of follow up assignments.
- Participates in knowledge development/expertise groups and in internal and external networks.
Project and process development
- Identifies and proposes technical process improvements to the project team.
- Acts on improvement areas within the local internal organisation and processes and gives feedback.
- Advisor coordinates all the youth engagement activities in the targeted districts to guarantee an integrated program approach across all districts.
- Identifies and analyses market opportunities and threats and ensures relevant colleagues are informed.
- Actively participates in strategic positioning meetings and acts as a knowledgeable face of the SNV organisation to the client.
- Analyses, understands and develops (local) networks with relevant stakeholders, identifies new clients.
- Builds, maintains and utilises relationships with relevant stakeholders, represents SNV and identifies opportunities for Business Development policies and procedures.
- Initiates assignments on a local/(sub)national level.
- Supports proposals and develops technical processes during the inception phase of projects.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Assists the MEAL Advisor in refining the project M&E plan, definition of indicators, monitor activity implementation and evaluates progress.
- Interprets and analyses factual data and to prepare precise, accurate and complete monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual reports to inform program implementation.
- Supports indicator data analysis to feed into M&E Plan, quarterly and annual reports.
- Steers (functionally) colleagues and coaches associated partners/ external stakeholders on quality within the context of assignments.
- Acts as a technical expert in the content area, applies process improvements in projects and coaches’ colleagues and associated partners both professionally as operationally on quality of context within projects.
- A relevant academic qualification: Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics, or Business Administration;
- Minimum of six years of experience of working with or in Agribusiness, preferably working with youth;
- Experience in sustainable markets development, youth in agriculture, energy efficient solutions, and agribusiness finance;
- Ability and demonstrated experience of designing and appraising inclusive business cases;
- Good analytical skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to work within a team.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Computer literate, proficient with MS Word, Excel and financial applications.
- A self-motivated achiever with excellent leadership, teamwork, coaching,
- Communication, analytical and organisational skills.
- Strong work ethics, high level of confidentiality and Integrity
Application Deadline: by 30 th June 2020.
Contract Duration : 36 months initial contract with possible extension
Contract Type: Uganda National Contract
Desired Start Date: 1st August 2020