AmeriCorps VISTA is a national poverty elimination program which provides community members the opportunity to serve in local nonprofits for one year. In return for service, members receive a living allowance, health insurance and other benefits.
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a leading, non-sectarian, non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. Domestically, our 26 offices across the United States ensure that newly-arrived refugees have food, shelter, and clothing. Over the course of two years, the IRC helps refugees gain self-sufficiency through English language classes, job training and placement services, and community participation activities. Opened in 1994, the Salt Lake City office resettles 500-600 refugees each year.
IRC SLC Health Programs promote physical and psychosocial well-being by facilitating access to healthcare services and providing culturally appropriate, strengths-based, educational programming. Under the direction of the Maternal & Child Health Program Coordinator, the Women’s Health AmeriCorps VISTA will support the Health Programs’ efforts to address the reproductive health needs of newly arrived refugee women.
VISTA will need to start in November with a Pre-Service Orientation (possibly out of state depending on start date). Service begins immediately afterwards. The position is a one-year commitment.
SCOPE OF WORK
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
· Develop educational program for newly arrived refugee women on family planning and menstruation
· Research existing programs at local, national and international level
· Conduct community outreach to build new and enhance existing community partnerships
· Develop project protocols to address internal and external referrals and coordination
· Seek out and apply for different funding sources to help support women’s health programs
· Review IRC programming through a “gender lens” and provide recommendations for program improvements to ensure equal access and opportunity for men and women
· Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
· VISTA is a full-time position, although part-time work is allowed provided it does not interfere with service responsibilities
· Experience in health promotion, public health, or social work preferred
· Familiar with Medicaid, American health care system, and refugee health needs/issues
· Demonstrated ability to work in a diverse, multi-cultural work environment
· Highly organized with excellent time management
· Strong computer skills and proficient in Microsoft Office
· Professional, friendly, and courteous attitude a must
· Ability to drive a vehicle and must have proof of insurance and good driving record
AmeriCorps VISTA BENEFITS
· Living Allowance ($990 a month pre-taxes), and Healthcare Coverage
· At the end of year of service, the VISTA can choose an Education Award ($5,775) or End of Service Cash Stipend ($1,500)
· Relocation allowance, if eligible
· Childcare assistance, if eligible
Application deadline is Friday, September 23, 2016