Chemonics seeks a manager for our Water, Energy, and Sustainable Cities practice, which provides advanced support to new business strategy and development efforts with specific focus on U.K.-based donors, such as the Department for International Development (DFID) and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO). The manager will prioritize exploring water, energy, sustainable cities, and related technical sectors through a DFID lens and will support proposal teams by ensuring Chemonics’ primarily USAID-funded work is presented to showcase how we can support DFID and the FCO in achieving their goals. The ideal candidate will be energetic and organized and have demonstrated solid judgment, leadership, and creativity. We are looking for people who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Support new business development for DFID, FCO, and other donor programming by providing technical input and guidance to proposal teams, connecting Chemonics to candidates and partners within the industry, and playing a direct role in proposal development
- Foster professional relationships with key clients, implementing partners, and industry experts within the sector
- Conduct and share research on DFID trends and technical sector policies and on other potential clients, partners, and competitors
- Foster and support initiatives and activities with other technical practices at Chemonics to highlight or develop corporate capability in cross-sectoral approaches
- Promote Chemonics’ approaches and results, expand Chemonics’ relationships with clients and industry actors, and capture information on leading industry thinking and best practices through participation in associations, communities of practice, and industry events
- Provide daily management and oversight to Chemonics’ frameworks, as assigned
- Review and provide comments and inputs to project or proposal technical documents as requested
- Demonstrate strong technical knowledge and expertise by taking on leadership positions in proposal teams, representing Chemonics at external events within the industry, and serving as a reliable technical resource for project teams
- Liaise with the Strategic Communication and Outreach, Knowledge, Innovation and Technology, and Editorial Support and Production departments and project management units to capture, update, and maintain information on Chemonics’ technical solutions, for internal and external distribution
- Track and annually collect company development achievement indicators related to water, energy, and sustainable cities
- Hold leadership roles on proposal teams and mentor others
- Serve as acting director and contribute to meetings on director’s behalf, as needed
- Delegate, supervise, and evaluate performance of assigned staff; communicate clear performance goals and standards; and ensure staff receive regular constructive performance feedback, prompt resolution of problems, and time and opportunity to grow and develop in key competency areas
- Promote staff development and build technical depth across the company through coaching, mentoring, and facilitating professional development opportunities in water, energy, and sustainable cities
- Foster and demonstrate a workplace inclusive of creating opportunity, serving others, building trust, innovation, and exceeding expectations
- Bachelor’s degree in international development or related field required; master’s degree preferred
- Demonstrated technically relevant work experience required
- Minimum one year of supervisory experience required
- Knowledge of DFID and industry trends preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to effectively lead meetings, give presentations, and network within the industry
- Willingness to travel and work abroad
- Strong analytical skills, demonstrated leadership skills, and ability to take initiative
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and mentor staff
- Foreign language proficiency preferred
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and “WESC Manager” in the subject line to UKDRecruitment@chemonics.com no later than March 29, 2019. No telephone inquiries, please. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Selection will be on merit. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, disability, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the EU, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data. For more information, please read the EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice: https://chemonics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/EU-Recruiting-Data-Privacy-Notice-12.2018.pdf