Rights Respected, People Protected
The Norwegian Refugee Council is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises in 31 countries, where we help save lives, rebuild futures and promote the rights of people who are displaced. We deliver high-quality aid where needs are greatest, in both new and protracted crises.
NRC in Palestine
In Palestine, NRC provides humanitarian assistance and promotes respect for international law in one of the longest-running displacement crises in modern history. In the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and Gaza, NRC’s work includes emergency preparedness and response, education, ICLA, protection, shelter and WASH.
NRC’s WASH programming in Gaza have provided comprehensive flood preparedness & response activities in more than 25 locations across the Gaza Strip. Our work supports communities who are vulnerable to seasonal flooding during the winter months, which causes direct damage to property, impedes access to public services, and contributes to environmental and health concerns due to the mixture of the flooding rain water with the open sewer system. One of the locations identified as a priority by the WASH cluster is Al Aqsa Street in Deir El Balah, Middle Area Governorate. The street is crucial as it is home to the main entrance to Al Aqsa hospital, which is the only hospital in central Gaza. The lack of storm water drainage infrastructure in the street causes storm/waste water flooding, leading to the closure of the street and blocking the entrance to the hospital. This project aims to address persistent flooding issues and contribute to efficient water usage through an integrated approach to storm water management combining flood prevention, agricultural reuse and groundwater recharge.
NRC is recruiting a WASH Technical Assistant Gaza to provide administrative and technical support for the implementation and monitoring of NRC’s WASH activities. This includes monitoring of contractor implementation to ensure that construction activities are undertaken in line with work planning, technical guidance and quality control requirements, while maintaining a safe work environment.
- Field monitoring of WASH infrastructure project implementation, including work progress, work acceptance, material sampling approval, and hand over;
- Review contractor payment requests to confirm that work has been completed;
- Ensure appropriate safety procedures are in place in all project sites and immediately report breaches to NRC management;
- Keep accurate records of project implementation and deliver regular reports to NRC program team management;
- Ensure cooperation and effective coordination with CMWU, relevant local authorities, local partners, and community members.
Our Ideal Candidate must have:
- A degree in Civil Engineering at least five years’ relevant experience implementing construction projects and monitoring civil engineering works;
- Sound ICT skills, including mobile data collection;
- Excellent communication skills, with proven ability to negotiate and coordinate effective with a range of internal and external stakeholders;
- Good English language skills, especially in written reporting;
- Previous experience working with INGOs/UN agencies is preferred.
In this position, you will join a highly motivated and experienced team who are making a difference for vulnerable people in one of the world’s most complex humanitarian crisis.
Contract duration: 4 months
Working hours: 40 hours/week, Sat-Thu (6 days per week)
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Gaza (open to Gaza residents only)
Start Date: ASAP