At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send life-saving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2015, CARE worked in 95 countries and reached 65 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
CARE is seeking a qualified WASH expert to support CARE’s growing portfolio of WASH activities across the whole of Syria. Since 2013, CARE has been working from multiple hubs and through a range of partners to provide food, WASH, health, livelihoods, protection, and shelter support to conflict-affected populations.
CARE’s comprehensive WASH programming includes emergency response, sanitation, water q quality, water trucking, and water safety plans. CARE’s programming needs to have a strong gender and protection focus. This Advisor position will provide support and coordination to the CARE Syria country office on all aspects of WASH programming including as part of emergency response. S/he will be available to travel to the various hubs across the Syria response including Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey and Northeast Syria. The position will provide strategic and technical support in the design, implementation, and monitoring of CARE’s WASH programs in Syria. This will involve offering contextual analysis; assisting with WASH sector assessments; conducting strategic planning; developing a coordinated WASH strategy with harmonized approaches; coordinating WASH activities; representing CARE WASH programming externally including through the UN Coordination Mechanism, and integrating WASH into multispectral programming. The role will influence strategic decision-making within the WASH program in line with the CARE’s overall strategy for Syria.
The position will be based in Amman, but with significant regional travel (Gazientep, Beirut and possibly Hassakeh in North East Syria). Programming is largely implemented in partnership with Syrian NGOs and CBOs, and the position will be expected to work closely with our partners as well as CARE program management staff.
- Strategy development, learning, and program design
- Technical guidance and Capacity Building
- External Coordination and Advocacy
- Internal Coordination and Collaboration
- Masters in WASH-related field or public health or international development
- Minimum of 12 years of experience in WASH programming; with continually increasing seniority
- At least 2 years working in multi-stakeholder or multi-country programs.
- Past experience conducting sectoral assessments/mappings/analysis, documentation of lessons learned, best practices, and compelling write-up of results;
- Experience in capacity building using a variety of tools;
- A strong track record working with national partner organizations, preferably including with partner led programming.
- Extensive experience working with coordination mechanisms, including the cluster system
- Advanced computer skills such as excel, powerpoint and other analysis tools.
- Proficiency in the English language, both verbal and written;
- Familiarity with Red Cross/NGO Code of Conduct as well as Sphere WASH standards
- Demonstrated training and technical advisory skills
- Extensive technical skills and ability to conduct technical training of trainers
- Strong understanding of gender dynamics within WASH programming and an ability to advise on and develop strategic initiatives to improve women’s role and economic positioning within the WASH sector
- Knowledge of general administration, information management, and telecommunications skills;
- Experience in designing and managing OFDA, GAC, UNICEF and other major donor projects