How media and information shape our world is the issue of our time, and Internews is uniquely positioned to play a significant role in how this influence affects the lives of millions of people around the world.
We are a social-impact organization dedicated to building healthy, trusted and relevant media and information systems in countries and communities where they struggle to exist. We envision a world where everyone, everywhere can access, create and exchange the news and information they need to shape their communities and the world.
In our 35-year history, we have bolstered the capacity of tens of thousands of media entrepreneurs, journalists and digital activists in over 120 countries.
Internews has headquarters offices in Washington, DC, London, UK and Arcata, CA, and regional support offices in Bangkok, Nairobi and Vilnius. We have country program offices in 30 additional countries. Our 2020 annual budget is approximately $90 million. Approximately 90% of Internews’ revenue comes from US & European public/government support with 10% coming from private foundations, corporate giving and individual gifts.
Ideally based either in Washington, DC or London, the VP of External Affairs will deliver a high-impact global communications, marketing and unrestricted fundraising strategy designed to support the organization’s brand positioning, fundraising and policy influence. This includes:
- Designing and leading our efforts to diversify our funding base and build the resilience of our mission by significantly increasing our unrestricted giving programs;
- Building Internews’ reputation at the forefront of efforts to support independent media and the provision of high-quality information around the world; and
- Advancing Internews’ voice in global debates around freedom of expression, digital rights, and the role of media and information in addressing the world’s most pressing issues.
The VP of External Affairs reports to the President and manages a small team of fundraising and communications professionals (6 FTEs), split between Washington DC and London. The VP serves as part of the Senior Staff team, driving all outreach and unrestricted fundraising efforts as part of our overall strategic plan. The VP also organizes and supports the Private Fundraising Task Force of the Internews US Board of Directors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
Unrestricted Fundraising :
- Develop the case, build the strategy and execute a comprehensive plan to expand the network of individuals, foundations and corporations who support the broad mandate of Internews through general support and unrestricted giving;
- Working with the philanthropy teams in the US and Europe, drive our general support/unrestricted fundraising strategies, crafting action plans, cultivating existing donors and developing new major donors, with a target of raising $1 million per year in unrestricted funds (up from approximately $250,000 currently) in the US, while supporting additional goals in Europe;
- Design and guide our philanthropy teams to run our annual ticketed fundraising events in NYC and London;
- Set and work with the team to achieve annual unrestricted fundraising targets, approved by the Board and in support of Internews mission; and
- Work with the marketing and communications team to ensure broad Internews communications and outreach supports this critical body of work.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values .
Marketing and Communications
- Develop, implement and evaluate an Internews external marketing and communications strategy which supports our new five-year strategy, including our Global Change Agenda.
- Design messaging, positioning and communications plans that are aligned with organizational and fundraising goals; and
- Set press and media relations strategies to support this work.
Global Outreach and Advocacy
- Lead communications and outreach for Internews’ Global Change Agenda, which aims to influence global players to advance healthy information environments around the world; and
- Strengthen the external communication capacity across the organization, positioning Internews leadership and Subject Matter Experts for media, speaking opportunities and other thought leadership initiatives, while ensuring that colleagues are equipped to tailor and convey key messages to external audiences.
The Vice President for External Affairs supervises all communications, private development staff and consultants, including a direct team of 6 professionals, based in Washington, DC and London, UK. The Vice President of External Affairs carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- At least 15 years of experience in marketing, unrestricted fundraising and communications;
- A person who thrives on expanding networks and advocating for mission-driven programs;
- A proven track record of crafting strategies and successfully raising general support/unrestricted funds;
- Ability to plan, set goals, monitor progress and evaluate results;
- A strategic manager, able to work collaboratively as part of a team in a flexible, dynamic environment;
- Enthusiasm for the power of media and information technologies a big plus;
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing, and listening; and
- Ability and willingness to travel, occasionally to Internews programs overseas; more often domestically and to HQ offices in Arcata, California and London, UK.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.