The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and in 25 U.S. cities, the IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
As IRC in New Jersey expands to resettle new refugee populations, it seeks community members with fluency in the following languages to serve as interpreters and translators, both over the phone and in-person:
- Haitian Creole
- Luba Kasai
SCOPE OF WORK:
Volunteer interpreters will provide interpretation and translation on an on-call basis for clients and staff.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Complete designated online learning module series on interpretation in resettlement prior to beginning of volunteer position
- Provide interpretation and occasional translation services for clients and IRC staff as needed for meetings in the office and/or home visits. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to: intakes, assessments, social services, cultural orientation, employment programs, general client welfare, etc.
- Communicate effectively in person and by telephone
- Provide clerical support and assist participants to complete basic forms
- Participate in ongoing interpreter trainings as scheduled
- Report regularly to the casework supervisor on program activities and issues of concern.
- Adhere to IRC policies, particularly those related to confidentiality and client privacy.
- Must be over 18
- Must have good written and verbal English language skills
- Ability to fluently speak at least one of the languages outlined above
- Must be willing to work varied hours
- Experience working with immigrants or refugees or in social services preferred
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Access and Word, E-mail)
- Be able to pass a background check
- Adhere to professional standards of confidentiality and boundary-setting
- Interpretation Certification preferred ( Culture Connect, US military, College/university)
Applicant must be located within the northern New Jersey or NYC metro area (in person interpretation is required)