Vice President, Global Fundraising
Department: Global Fundraising
Based in Washington, DC
Up to 30% travel
Reports to Chief Strategy and Resources Officer
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 50 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 8,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
We are looking for a dynamic and entrepreneurial Vice President to lead PSI’s Global Fundraising team. This position is a highly strategic leadership role that will engage with top business leaders and global philanthropists to create innovative and catalytic partnerships that support and advance PSI’s global strategy.
The Global Fundraising department partners with some of the world’s leading companies, foundations, and individuals to generate lasting health impact in more than 30 countries. With a portfolio of private sector partnerships across the pharmaceutical, fast moving consumer goods, and technology industries, the Vice President will engage CEOs and others to foster new opportunities for collaboration and innovation.
The Vice President Global Fundraising will also play a role and lead these pillars:
- Governments and Foundations
- Strategic & Corporate Partnerships
- Major Gifts & Annual Giving
- Experiential Philanthropy – inclusive of PSI’s flagship Maverick and MaverickNext programs
Sound like you? Read on.
Strategy and Vision
- Build an effective, enterprise-wide fundraising culture at PSI.
- Execute a comprehensive, enterprise-wide fundraising strategy that supports the overall strategy, mission, values, and objectives of PSI.
- Integrate industry best practice and innovation into fundraising approaches.
- Assess the competitive landscape and develop value propositions and operational options to effectively attract and engage major gifts, annual giving, corporate, and institutional donors.
- Set strategy for marketing content and communication planning related to fundraising both internally and externally in alignment with organizational objectives.
- Build meaningful collaboration and partnership across the organization and ensure alignment of department strategy with organizational strategy and direction. Advise the Executive Team, Board, and other senior leaders on relationship building and fundraising opportunities that are strategic and of the highest priority.
- Help establish performance measures, monitor results, and provide reporting and analysis to assess effectiveness of the organization’s fundraising.
- Lead a dynamic department of approximately 27 people with motivation, empathy, collaboration, and inclusion.
- Develop a high-performing team culture focused on leadership and accountability at all levels, continuous learning, collaboration, measurement, and goal achievement.
- Model PSI’s Great Manager profile by Aligning the team and deliver results, Investing in growing high performing teams and Modeling a Learners Mindset.
- Directly supervise 4 people inclusive of approving personnel actions (compensation, hiring, leave, performance management, and where necessary terminations).
- Drive workforce planning and talent management to meet departmental goals and continually improve productivity and performance.
- Oversee recruitment, selection, training, onboarding, and development of staff within the department.
Fundraising and External Relationship
- Lead development and implementation of successful short-, mid, and long-range resource development plans, including seeking out new funding opportunities, managing relationships with existing partners, annual givers, philanthropists, and key networking partners.
- Meet/exceed annual revenue targets.
- Assure appropriate prospect research, cultivation, retention, and acknowledgement activities and maintenance of donor and prospect records and gift management systems.
- Assure implementation and evaluation of marketing content and communication planning related to fundraising both internally and externally in concert with organizational objectives.
- Represent PSI to external stakeholders, partners, donors, and prospects and interact regularly with the organization’s senior leadership and Board.
- Continuously cultivate strong external networks.
Finance and Operations
- Provide general oversight of all the organization’s fundraising activities and manage the effective and efficient day-to-day operations of the department.
- Assure a fiscally sound operation, including the timely, accurate, and comprehensive development of charitable contributions income and expense budgets, reporting, monitoring, and implementation.
- Support the effective development of annual operating budgets and effectively manage annual department operating costs to that budget.
- Negotiate on behalf of PSI (within the parameters established in the PSI Responsibilities Matrix). Assure effective compliance with sound processes, procedures, and monitoring and evaluation of departmental goals, delivery, and impact.
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous, and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- At least 15 years of experience in progressively responsible fundraising and development positions, preferably in health/international sector.
- A minimum of five years of experience in a leadership role.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s degree preferred. Certification in fundraising preferred.
- Successful experience of developing strategy, catalyzing culture change, and turning strategy into action.
- Proven ability in identifying, cultivating, soliciting financial support, and building long-term relationships with individuals, major gift programming, corporate partners and institutional donors. Proven track record on winning unrestricted gifts with a preference for past success in individual giving.
- Highly developed interpersonal and collaboration skills. Patience and persistence to develop and cultivate relationships. Demonstrated success leading in a complex organization with an ability to work collaboratively, with a sense of transparency, with the executive leaders, Board, staff, and other key stakeholders.
- Proven management acumen and ability to build, develop, and lead high-performing teams. Track record of high success, goal setting, measuring success, and holding professionals accountable.
- Entrepreneurial, strategic, and creative approach to fundraising and partnerships – the ability to spot trends in the marketplace and create successful opportunities in response.
- Understanding of the developments in philanthropy and fundraising and trends affecting PSI’s primary business and strategy.
- Highest levels of integrity and adherence to code of ethics for fundraising professionals.
- Experience working in an international context preferred.
- Passion for PSI’s mission, and a sense of humor to easily connect with colleagues and enhance a positive team environment.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. PSI will consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
*Due to high volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted. Curious about your status? Please log into your iCIMS account to find out.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202)785-0072.