Research Manager, PMI VectorLink
Reports to: Senior Research Advisor, Malaria
Up to 30% international travel
*Must be authorized to work in country of hire.
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 5,000 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 40 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using it’s global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
PMI VectorLink Program
Working across 23 countries in sub-Saharan Africa as well as Cambodia, the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative’s (PMI) VectorLink (VL) Project is equipping countries to plan and implement safe, cost-effective and sustainable life-saving malaria vector control interventions with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Proven to reduce malaria illness, severe disease, and death due to malaria in endemic areas, insecticide-treated nets (ITNs) protect people while they are sleeping from the bite of mosquitoes. ITNs maintain effective levels of insecticide to repel mosquitoes for approximately three years, even after repeated washing. PMI VectorLink supports ministries of health to achieve and maintain universal coverage of ITNs, delivered through all available channels. PMI VectorLink is building capacity for evidence-based policy and decision-making, social and behavior change communication (SBCC), and monitoring and evaluation to increase ITN access and ensure ITN use.
We are looking for a Research Manager to lead ITN research activities – notably a portfolio of ITN durability monitoring studies in approximately 10 countries – across English- and French- speaking countries in Africa. The position will provide management, technical direction, oversight, and quality assurance to a technical team supporting the planning, implementation and analysis of the durability monitoring portfolio. The Research Manager will collaborate with senior Malaria department staff to shape the learning opportunities from the research portfolio, including writing for publication.
PSI is seeking a skilled, detail-oriented and dynamic candidate with historical success conducting and supervising multicountry research projects and a demonstrated interest in malaria vector control research. Candidates should have experience analyzing rigorous quantitative research data, have strong communication and technical writing skills, and a record of capacity building. A key to success for this position will be working effectively as part of a distributed team.
Sound like you? Read on.
The Research Manager will be expected to:
- Lead a technical team in study planning for all target countries by:
- Working directly with PSI VL staff and implementing agencies to develop or modify study designs, study tools, budgets and timelines.
- Maintaining country progress to agreed timelines and proactively troubleshooting to avoid or advance through delays.
- Ensuring appropriate IRB approvals have been received and are documented for all study rounds.
- Ensuring study activities comply and remain compliant to required PMI, PSI and country COVID-19 adaptions.
- Working with PSI VL staff to develop or revise study materials, including training slides and other training materials.
- Lead and support training and fieldwork implementation in a subset of target countries by:
- Leading and supporting PSI VL staff to program and/or update electronic data collection tools in ODK for implementation using SurveyCTO.
- Facilitating and/or co-facilitating remote training-of-trainers (a COVID-19 adaptation) and in-person fieldwork training (when feasible).
- Performing remote and in-person (when feasible) fieldwork supervision and quality assurance, including remote review of data collection and trouble-shooting while field work is ongoing.
- Lead and support analysis and reporting in a subset of target countries by:
- Conducting data cleaning and analysis according to standard project syntax.
- Ensuring quality and timely production of study reports in English.
- Participating in country analysis workshops and/or dissemination events as requested by partners.
- Contributing to peer-reviewed publications and novel secondary analysis.
- Lead a strong ITN research technical team by:
- Line managing two PSI VL technical staff, including allocating focal countries for team members to support in study planning, training, fieldwork implementation and analysis.
- Liaising with other PSI VL research and monitoring staff to support routine or ad-hoc analysis activities.
- Overseeing the technical management of external consultants when required.
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
- Master’s degree in public health, epidemiology, population studies, behavioral sciences, or a related field.
- At least seven years of professional experience (academic and professional experience considered together) in applied quantitative research pertaining to malaria, including fieldworker training and quality assurance experience in Africa.
- Ability to manage multiple research studies from the study design phase through to dissemination, including internal oversight and quality assurance for work performed by external research agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, highly organized, and comfortable working on multiple simultaneous studies.
- Strong people management skills.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Experience analyzing quantitative research in Stata (proficiency will be tested).
- Experience in designing, fielding and monitoring the quality of data collected through mobile devices. Experience with ODK (and SurveyCTO) preferred.
- Extensive familiarity with research ethics procedures and submission of studies to local and international IRB.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English.
- Proficiency in French is strongly preferred.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
- References will be required.
- Must be authorized to work in country of hire.
What gets us excited?
- Experience implementing durability monitoring research.
- Familiarity with PMI.
- Track record of peer-reviewed publications.
- French language skills.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: email@example.com or call (202)785-0072.