QED is a global consulting firm with more than 20 years of experience providing data-driven and insightful solutions in close to 100 countries. We are passionate about transforming lives through knowledge-based solutions. Leveraging deep expertise in monitoring, evaluation, global health, and learning, we help our clients collect, analyze, visualize, and ultimately use data in more effective ways. Our work maximizes results through the use of cutting-edge technologies and innovation, organizational development, and evidence-based decision-making.
The Uganda Learning Activity is hiring for a VAT Coordinator to support a temporary requirement with the USAID Mission for short term assignment until September 2020.
USAID/Uganda leads the process for obtaining a refund from the Government of Uganda for all Value Added Tax (VAT) charged on commodities purchased with foreign assistance funds. The Financial Management Office is responsible for coordinating with the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) to claim for reimbursement of VAT charged directly to USAID and it’s Implementing Partners (IPs).
VAT refund process involves; receipt of quarterly VAT reports and invoices from IPs, USAID and URA verification of tax invoices, filing returns on URA web portal, follow up on reimbursement and reconciliation of refunded claims.
Under the guidance of the Supervisory Voucher Examiner, the VAT Coordinator will work in collaboration with the Acting Document Control Clerk to closely manage the process of VAT reporting and refund claim for documents received during the period through September 2020.
- Verify and confirm that original invoices and receipts submitted by the Implementing Partners (IPs) comply with the requirements of a proper tax invoice
- Create a database of invalid invoices identified
- Follow up with relevant IPs on any invalid tax invoices and update the database with IP responses for proper tracking
- Submit tax invoices and receipts to URA for further verification and stamping. After verification, stamp them with a USAID stamp, return all originals to USAID and maintain photocopies for supporting returns to URA
- Prepare VAT refund claim for verified invoices and submit to URA using Form DT2032. Any other revised invoices for past quarters submitted by the IP will be included in the claims whenever received and the invalid invoices database should be updated accordingly
- Submit form DT2032 to USAID for Controller’s certification
- Arrange all tax invoices in the order of the return schedules and submit them along with the certified form DT2032 to URA
- Reconcile all VAT refunds received from URA as per USAID request depending on what has been received on USAID’s bank account
- Reconcile and submit a consolidated report showing VAT reported by IP, improper tax invoices amount, VAT refund claim filed with URA, VAT refunded, and VAT deferred/rejected by URA
- Scan all returns and supporting documents submitted to URA
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field
- At least 5 years of experience in tax/VAT accounting
- Experience in reviewing, processing and assessing VAT invoices and reports
- Experience reviewing banking and financial documents for consistency
- Experience with MS Excel and other financial programs and software
To apply for this position please follow the following steps:
- Complete the online application.
- Attach your resume/CV.
- Click on this link to complete a USAID Biodata/1420 form, fill out the form, sign it, and attach/upload it to your application.
- You may also include other documents such as cover letter and/or a work sample.
- Submit your application, resume/CV, completed biodata, and any additional documents.
Please note that applications submitted by other means; or without either a resume/CV and/or biodata may not be considered. Only finalists will be contacted; no phone calls please.
A submitted application to QED in response to a position on a bid or proposal, indicates your agreement to be included in our submission to the client at least on an illustrative named basis.
The QED Group, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. AA/V/D. Reasonable accommodation requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.