PATH is an international organization that drives transformative innovation to save lives and improve health, especially among women and children. We accelerate innovation across five platforms: vaccines, drugs, diagnostics, devices, and system and service innovations that harness our entrepreneurial insight, scientific and public health expertise, and passion for health equity. By mobilizing partners around the world, we take innovation to scale, working alongside countries primarily in Africa and Asia to tackle their greatest health needs.
PATH’s Center for Vaccine Innovation and Access (CVIA) brings together our expertise across every stage of the long and complex process of vaccine research, development, and delivery to make lifesaving vaccines widely available to children and communities across the world. CVIA’s current portfolio encompasses more than two dozen vaccines either in development or already in use to protect against over 15 different diseases. Our focus is on vaccines to address the leading diseases that claim children’s lives worldwide: pneumonia, diarrheal disease, and malaria; as well as other global health priorities, such as polio and meningitis. We work in partnership with national health ministries, pharmaceutical manufacturers, donors, international financing and regulatory organizations, and many others. PATH has led numerous global partnerships, including the award-winning Meningitis Vaccine Project and the Malaria Vaccine Initiative, which helped develop the first malaria vaccine candidate recommended for pilot implementation
CVIA is looking for a part-time, term-limited Vaccine Product Development Director to lead efforts, in coordination with external partners, to develop vaccines against several pathogens, including SARS-CoV-2.
Reporting to the interim Global Head of Zoonotic, Emerging and Sexual Transmitted (ZEST) Diseases Area, the Vaccine Product Development Director will direct one or more multi-disciplinary vaccine product development and introduction project team within CVIA ensuring the development of the overall strategy, scientific and technical implementation of the projects. This includes:
- Provide matrix management and leadership to project team members; ensure every team member understands their respective duties and responsibilities, and that functional sub-teams are attaining their key deliverables.
- Lead the initial drafting and/or continuous refinement of the value proposition, target product profile, results framework, and detailed integrated product development plan (IPDP)/life-cycle management plan (LCMP), ensuring alignment with PATH’s mission, values, and policies.
- Direct the generation of budget, establish project milestones and success criteria, and timeline estimates by functional experts, and communicate to Sponsors/Donors
- Ensure timely and near-flawless execution of the IPDP/LCMP as agreed with partner(s) and donor(s).
- Proactively identify issues and mitigate risks, resolve conflicts, and communicate project-related issues to senior management.
- Foster critical thinking and accountability by promoting effective decision-making, planning towards milestones, defining clear go/no go decision points, creating scenario plans, and overseeing management of critical path activities.
- Oversee project management activities in collaboration with the project team members to allow course correction for activities on critical path.
- Manage and ensure effective relationships with development partner(s) and donor(s) through clear and timely communication, diplomacy, and achievement of milestones and deliverables.
- Create strategic linkages between the project teams and other vaccine development projects within CVIA to maximize experience and use of resources
- Oversee annual work plans and compliance with all donor requirements; review and approve project progress reports to donor(s), prepare for and represent project at scheduled meetings with donor and partner.