Chemonics seeks technical experts with energy sector experience working with electrical utilities in Southern Africa for the anticipated USAID-funded Empower Southern Africa (ESA) opportunity. The purpose of the program, a new Power Africa project, is to increase the availability of and access to affordable, reliable, and sustainable electricity in Southern Africa and will connect more users to electricity on the grid and beyond the grid; support cleaner electricity generation delivered by the grid and accelerate distributed renewable energy; and work with Southern African governments to improve the enabling environment for energy sector investment and innovation. The potential objectives of the activity are to:
- End energy poverty by increasing access to affordable, reliable energy which can support increased economic activity and improved living standards.
- Increase the supply of electricity in Southern African countries through clean energy solutions.
- Remove constraints to investment in Southern African energy sectors and to increase innovation.
Specifically, Chemonics seeks expressions of interest from individuals with experience in one or more of the following areas:
- On-grid business models.
- Electrical grid engineering and system design.
- Local utilities and IPPs.
- Utility reform and modernization.
- Policy and enabling environment development for on-grid development
Utility Strengthening Experts will maintain relationships and regular communications with local utilities across project target countries to increase new grid connections and enhance energy access to households. They will advise project leadership on the needs and regulatory environments of the project’s target countries across Southern Africa (Angola, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia). The Experts will also identify loss-reducing strategies across local utilities.
Chemonics International Inc. is a US-based international development consulting company, operating in over 95 countries. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Establish and maintain relationships with local utilities across Southern Africa
- Ensure compliance with local regulations regarding infrastructure development projects
- Support engineering and design of on-grid systems to maximize energy efficiency and distribution
- Provide regular reports to client and project leadership on utility relationships
- Obtain buy-in from local utilities and IPPs to enhance access to energy across Southern Africa
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Knowledge utilities, IPPs, and public sector stakeholders across Southern Africa in the energy industry
- Minimum five years’ experience implementing energy programs. Sub-Saharan Africa work experience is preferred
- Excellent analytical abilities, written and oral communications skills
- Fluency in English or local languages required depending on work location
- Demonstrated ability to promptly address ad hoc requests
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
Please apply by using this link. Applications must be submitted by December 24, 2022. Early applications encouraged. No telephone inquiries, please.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/