Scope of Work
Technology Transfer Specialist STTA
DAI is implementing the USAID funded Afghanistan Competitiveness of Export Oriented Business Activity (ACEBA) Program. The objective of this program is to enhance capacities of Afghan exporters and micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) associated with export-oriented value chains, such as: carpets, dimensional stone, gemstones and jewelry, saffron, and cashmere as a means of promoting sustainable economic growth and increasing employment.
The Technology Transfer Specialist STTA will support the utilization of the Export Acceleration Fund (EAF) to help partner businesses upgrade business processes, technology, and equipment. In addition, the Specialist will work closely with the ACEBA team to develop and refine technical specifications and conduct market research for services, software, hardware, equipment and supplies necessary to implement activities funded through the EAF. ACEBA will be supporting fast-paced assistance delivery which will likely require 15-18 million USD of assistance procurements in the space of 4.5 years, representing between 270 and 300 different sourcing efforts.
Objective and Duties:
- Collaborate with ACEBA teams to develop accurate, comprehensive and Afghanistan-appropriate production and marketing solutions for export-oriented businesses and supporting firms in their value chains that will increase product innovation, productivity, and quality;
- When feasible, make recommendations for local production/adaptation of low to medium technology equipment that could be manufactured within Afghanistan to supply value chain actors;
- Assist participating businesses in assessing and adopting online marketing platforms, e-commerce, and order fulfillment services, which may include identification of experts in product specific marketing, or established services and platforms.
- Work with participating businesses and ACEBA staff including industry experts, value chain managers, environmental engineers, and a local national procurement specialist to assist in the identification of appropriate equipment types and refine specifications for procurements related to EAF applications across a wide variety of disciplines;
- Identification and liaison with consultants/practitioners with specific knowledge on particular pieces of equipment, when required for development of specifications, and review and evaluation of quotations;
- Conduct market research and identification of global vendors/suppliers able to provide equipment;
- When appropriate assist in evaluation of quotations and specifications provided by EAF applicants;
- Support national staff to finalize specifications and price estimates to support procurement requisition documentation, and in vendor/supplier selection, including justification documents to support selection (where necessary, particularly in the preparation of sole source justifications or memorandums of negotiation when these are complex in nature);
- MA Degree in Business, Economics, Engineering or relevant field of study and 5 years of relevant experience (preferred) or Bachelor’s degree with significant relevant experience;
- Experience assessing business, financial, and investment plans of private companies seeking to increase revenues, production, and sales through the introduction of modernized processes, technologies, and tools (including software and services);
- Experience in manufacturing/processing equipment-intensive industries, knowledge of dimensional stone, gemstone and jewelry, traditional carpet production, saffron or cashmere industries in Afghanistan a bonus;
- Knowledgeable about private sector support, general grant-making and procurement regulations and processes on USAID funded programs;
- Experience working in multicultural environments required, Afghanistan experience preferred.
- Proven ability to handle large amounts of information in an organized manner and with attention to detail;
- Proven ability to meet deadlines while not compromising quality of output;
- Oral and written fluency in English (basic knowledge of other languages beneficial);
- Experience in working in complex environments.
- Willingness to travel to assess equipment or undertake pre-shipment inspection in various countries, and to Afghanistan if necessary.
- The position reports to the Senior Implementation Services Director.