SI implements the five-year Ethiopia Performance Monitoring and Evaluation Service (EPMES) Activity. This contract provides USAID/Ethiopia with project evaluations, performance monitoring, GIS mapping and data visualization support, technical and logistical support to enhance the capacity for learning and adaptation throughout the program cycle; and performance management support services. The EPMES contract assists USAID/Ethiopia and its partners to generate empirical data on project/activity implementation and foster learning and knowledge management to improve evidence-based project design and development programming.
Under the EPMES contract, SI will implement a Secondary Cities Assessment on behalf of USAID/Ethiopia.
The USAID Mission in Ethiopia will use the Secondary Cities Assessment as a tool to support evidence-based decisions to target and design investment and program initiatives to have the greatest collective and compounded impact, based on predictors of potential to advance positive economic and social outcomes. The Assessment is expected to help USAID:
- Identify Ethiopia’s dynamic and investment-ready secondary cities that can serve as urban anchors for surrounding rural and urban areas.
- Target and design USAID investment and program initiatives to have the greatest collective and compounded impact through intentional geographic targeting.
Assessment Questions (full list of sub-questions available in Assessment SOW)
- Which existing data on Ethiopia’s secondary cities can be analyzed to help USAID to identify preferable cities for sector investment that will have the greatest collective impact?
- What USAID Activities/Projects are currently implemented in the city or its periphery and surrounding rural areas?
- What resources in the secondary cities could help support USAID activities in the urban and neighboring rural areas?
This Assessment is expected to take place from mid-May through September 2020 and rely primarily on analysis of available secondary data. The Assessment team will use a phased approach, using data to select secondary cities for consideration and narrowing the list in consultation with USAID. The Three Phases of the Assessment include:
- Phase I: Selection, review & analysis of 30 cities to distill the 12 most viable Secondary Cities for USAID investment consideration. (Deliverables include: Database assessing the 30 selected cities, a Map, and a 3-4 page summary demonstrating how 12 cities were empirically selected from the original list of 30)
- Phase 2: Detailed City Profiles of 12 select Secondary Cities, and Summary Profile. (Deliverables include: 12 summarized City profiles of 2-3 pages each and a scorecard of each city, 1 Summary profile allowing for comparison of the cities across indicators, and 1 updated consolidated database of the indicators in the city profile).
- Phase 3: Workshop with USAID. (Deliverables include: Workshop design and facilitator’s guide, Supplementary maps, PowerPoint slides to facilitate USAID decision making).
SI is seeking an Urban Planning Expert to serve as the technical lead for this Secondary Cities Assessment. The full team will include three skilled evaluation, knowledge management and GIS specialists (based in the EPMES field office in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia), as well as data management and Assessment team support from SI headquarters. The position is level of effort-based (20 days) and is expected to be conducted remotely due to current Covid-19 travel constraints. The Expert will report to the SI Data Manager and the EPMES Chief of Party.
- Review and advise on indicators and potential data sources to be used in the Assessment analysis.
- Provide guidance on how to apply indexes and interpret the relevance / importance of the data results, specific to urban locations.
- Conduct data analysis to understand if certain cities have been systematically underrepresented in the data review process.
- Using the data available, support the development of indexes that require weighting and amalgamation of different characteristics.
- Help identify / extract key findings pertinent to the ultimate selection of key Secondary Cities in Ethiopia, that may not be apparent to EPMES staff
- Lead the development / drafting of recommendations and city summaries based on the data analysis, data consolidation and findings consolidated by the EPMES team.
- Support the EPMES and SI team in the drafting of all written deliverables, as outlined in the Assessment Methodology (above).
- Present Assessment results (virtually or in person) to key stakeholders (USAID) along with EPMES and SI team members.
- Work closely with EPMES and SI HQ team and communicate in a timely and effective manner with all project personnel to ensure all deliverables are completed on time.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in urban planning, economic development, and other relevant sectors.
- Minimum five years of experience in designing and/or conducting assessments/studies in urban planning, including design, analysis, and reporting.
- Master’s degree or above in urban planning, urban economic development or other relevant fields.
- Experience in forecasting and planning the growth of cities and categorization of cities based on standard indicators
- Experience working with development donors on urban planning (required), experience with USAID preferred.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently to meet deadlines and adhere to high quality standards.
- Prior work experience in East Africa or Ethiopia preferred.
- Strong professional written and verbal proficiency in English is required.