Contribute to the formulation of policies and strategies on urban sector development, urban and regional planning, urban environmental improvement, and urban/municipal management. Design and implement programs and projects for urban sector improvement in Central and West Asia region. The position will focus on inclusive, competitive and green cities development, and urban/municipal infrastructure management and relevant sector governance reforms. Participate in identifying, developing, processing, implementing and administering loans, technical assistance (TAs) projects and non-lending products and services (NLPS) for the urban sector in developing member countries (DMCs).
Engage in dialogue with the government on urban development and municipal services and work with the executing and implementing agencies. Work with broad policies and objectives, working directly with clients, with supervision for critical tasks.
a. Strategy and planning
Contribute in designing and establishing urban growth clusters, and in effectively linking CWRD’s urban sector/water operations with its transport, energy, natural resources and finance operations.
Assist in identifying, designing and processing loan and non-lending projects in municipal utilities; and for improving overall municipal management.
Design roadmaps and instruments such as city development plans (CDPs) and sector investment plans to guide urban administrations in their infrastructure planning, design and delivery of urban services.
Contribute to application of high level technologies in urban sector and identification and development of operations related to information communication technology (ICT) and smart city development. Develop innovative analytical tools (e.g. GIS) to manage information on urban infrastructure.
Participate in country teams and provide inputs around urban development issues for Country Partnership Strategy and Country Operations Business Plans.
Comment on policy papers that have an impact on the preparation and administration of urban development projects.
Participate and support the work of relevant Sector Groups (e.g. Urban, Water and Transport) and in other interdepartmental working groups.
Ensure quality and compliance of all CWRD urban/municipal utilities operations with respect to ADB’s urban development policies and strategies.
Support the effective coordination with development partners on lending and non-lending products and strategic initiatives.
Support in ensuring key technical, economic, financial and cross-cutting issues are incorporated into projects.
In a supporting capacity, nurture, strengthen and ensure full fledged implementation of the joint venture arrangement in CWRD between sector teams and Resident Missions and achieve consistency of approach, exchange of experiences, and continuous improvement of practices and integration of urban development policy commitments to the management of projects.
b. Project Processing and Management
Identify opportunities for ADB assistance projects aimed at operationalizing urban policies and strategies with a focus on structuring and designing projects for ICT and smart city development.
Provide advice to executing agencies on project preparation.
Integrate ADB’s policies and guidelines in the design and implementation.
Participate in and lead as appropriate the development, processing and administration of loan and TA projects in urban sector.
Liaise with and coordinate with development agencies on all aspects of cofinancing investment and financial planning in the context of ADB lending and non-lending interventions.
Ensure key technical, economical, financial, institutional and crosscutting issues are incorporated into project design.
c. Policy and Project Evaluation
Participate in the continuous assessment of urban development policies, strategies and programs with a view of ensuring comparability to best practices and responsiveness to development needs of DMCs.
Ensure the development impact of the urban development portfolio through monitoring and evaluation.
Contribute to the analytical and advisory work, including policy and institutional analysis, developing strategy options, inquiries into emerging urban themes, and capacity building programs to meet the urbanization challenges and increase the volume and development of urban development program and projects in DMCs.
Support in ensuring that new urban development policy and strategies are reflected in the urban development portfolio.
d. Knowledge Management
Serve as a contributor to knowledge management, responsible for the planning through the preparation of knowledge management activities (e.g., workshops, publications) on issues that are relevant to the Developing Member Countries of Central and West Asia region.
Represent ADB and participate in government and development partners meetings and working groups on urban development, as assigned, for knowledge sharing and coordinating and promoting ADB’s urban development initiatives.
e. Staff Supervision
Provide leadership and support to reporting staff
Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
Ensure the ongoing learning and development of reporting staff
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Regularly shares knowledge on new international best practice trends in comparator situations
- Proactively applies relevant international best practices to own work
- Convinces others to adopt international best practice by explaining the situational relevance and benefits
- Helps colleagues work effectively with clients in different contexts and from diverse backgrounds and country situations
- Adapts own approach and style when interacting with clients, as opposed to requiring them to adapt
- Draws upon international best practice in exploring solutions with clients
- Confirms the clients’ understanding and agreement before progressing
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Draws on own and others’ multi-country experience to identify viable courses of action when conducting analyses
- Helps internal and external clients achieve quality results beyond presenting problems and precedent
- Highlights possible solutions for project issues based on relevant multi-country and/or multi-client experience
- Regularly contributes insights and experiences to colleagues in the Division to help them achieve quality results
- Overcomes unexpected difficulties and challenges to produce desired outcomes
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks the audience’s level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution based on lessons and multi-country experience
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
Master’s degree or equivalent in urban development, urban management, economics, civil/environmental engineering or other related fields. University degree in civil/urban development, combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level.
- At least 8 years of relevant experience in project administration and implementation, and relevant experience in design of urban projects, practical knowledge and experience in integration of financial, economic, social, institutional and safeguard requirements and issues in project design. Desirable experience to cover structuring and designing projects for ICT and smart city development. Preference for experience and demonstrated responsiveness in the preparation and administration of urban projects in Central and West Asia.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- International experience working in development in several countries.
- Supervisor: Director
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- Administrative Staff
- National Staff
- We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive work environment. Women are especially encouraged to apply.