SCOPE OF INTERN WORK: IRC’s Immigration Program provides fee-based services to refugees, asylees, Cuban/Haitian entrants and other immigrants in New York. The intern will work closely with IRC staff to provide legal services to clients seeking assistance with various immigration forms.
o Assist immigration staff in helping refugees, asylees, and other immigrants apply for adjustment of status (green cards), United States citizenship, family petitions and other immigration benefits:
o Conduct initial eligibility assessments of potential applicants;
o Assist with accurate completion of application forms for clients;
o Notify clients via telephone or mailings about matters related to their applications;
o Assist clients with additional necessary procedures, such as requests for evidence and follow-up advocacy
o Help conduct outreach to refugees and other immigrants in need of assistance with immigration-related matters:
o Assist with immigration and citizenship information sessions;
o Conduct outreach via mailings, distributing flyers and pamphlets;
o Assist with tracking, filing, and mailing relevant documents, applications, and notices;
o Maintain up-to-date client data in ETO database;
o Other related duties as assigned by the Immigration Program Manager or Immigration Coordinator.
• JD candidate/law student preferred; will consider a college student
• Fluency in one of the following languages very strongly preferred: Albanian, Arabic, Bosnian, Burmese, Cantonese, Farsi, Hindi, Karen, Korean, Mandarin, Nepali, Serbo-Croatian, Spanish, Vietnamese.
• Familiar with the mission of IRC and willing to represent it appropriately
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with refugees, asylees and other immigrants
• Ability to work well with a culturally diverse staff
• Prior experience in immigration a plus
• Part or full-time internship; more than one position available
This position reports to the Immigration Coordinator and Immigration Program Manager.