SCOPE OF INTERN WORK: IRC’s Immigration Program provides fee-based services to refugees, asylees, Cuban/Haitian entrants and other immigrants in New Jersey. The intern will work closely with IRC staff to provide legal services to clients seeking assistance with various forms of immigration.
o Assist immigration staff in helping refugees, asylees, and other immigrants apply for adjustment of status (green cards), United States citizenship, family petitions and other immigration benefits:
o Conduct initial eligibility assessments of potential applicants;
o Assist with accurate completion of application forms for clients;
o Notify clients via telephone or mailings about matters related to their applications;
o Assist clients with additional necessary procedures, such as requests for evidence and follow-up advocacy
o Help conduct outreach to refugees and other immigrants in need of assistance with immigration-related matters:
o Assist with immigration and citizenship informational forums;
o Conduct outreach mailings;
o Help distribute flyers and pamphlets;
o Assist immigration team with tracking, filing, and mailing relevant documents, applications, and notices of action;
o Maintain up-to-date client data in online immigration data base;
o Other related duties as assigned by the Immigration Program Manager or Immigration Assistant.
• JD candidate/law student preferred; will consider a college student
• Fluency in Spanish or Arabic is required, additional languages, particularly French are preferred.
• Familiar with the mission of IRC and willing to represent it appropriately
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with refugees, asylees and other immigrants
• Ability to work well with a culturally diverse staff
• Prior experience in immigration a plus
• Part or full-time internship; more than one position available
This position reports to the Immigration Caseworker and Immigration Program Manager.