We are looking for an experienced Transport Modeller to help with the expanding workload of our Midlands Transport Team.
We offer a challenging and rewarding career working for a leading transport consultancy with a strong presence in the Midlands. You will join a growing team,0 delivering a wide variety of interesting projects for clients in the private and public sectors. We are flexible on location and will consider applications from candidates in Birmingham, Leicester or Milton Keynes.
You will work on and assist in leading a range of transport studies dealing with highway and other modelling projects. The role requires an experienced Transport Modeller who has developed a strong technical base in strategic modelling software (i.e. SATURN and VISUM) and has experience in project management, client liaison and fee proposal writing. Your work will involve:
- Understanding client requirements for modelling, and the specification of related model tasks
- Transport model development including model building, calibration/validation, model testing and auditing, checking and analysis of model outputs
- Ensuring work is delivered on time and within budget
- Preparation of technical reports and proposals for clients
- Attending internal and external client and team meetings
- Developing and mentoring more junior team members
You will be required to undertake your work with a high degree of diligence and quality in line with WebTAG guidance and WYG’s Quality Assurance processes. You will prepare technical papers and client reports and will need to be well organised and able to manage your time effectively to meet project deadlines.
The role presents an excellent opportunity to progress your career and work with a successful team on a wide range of regional, national and international transport planning and modelling projects, with opportunities to diversify transport modelling outputs and techniques into new and innovative markets and products.
We are looking for a keen, progressive and versatile individual with an established background in transport modelling. For this role we require candidates to have a numerate degree (BSc) in a relevant subject for example transport planning, mathematics, economics, physics or geography.
Above all we will be looking for someone with the following qualities:
- Drive to succeed and a willingness to get involved
- Experience as a transport modeller, with an excellent track record in the field
- Expert knowledge of transport modelling theory and methods
- Expert knowledge of data collection, analytical techniques and appraisal methods
- Comprehensive understanding of UK transport policies/guidance (e.g. WebTAG and DMRB)
- Proven experience of strategic modelling using programs such as SATURN and VISUM
- Ability to advise on the design of modelling studies and lead their management and delivery
- Proven ability of working as part of a team to undertake large strategic modelling projects
- Highly numerate with strong problem solving skills
- Should have the ability to work under minimum supervision
- Proficient in Word and Excel
- Ability to produce clear, precise and coherent analysis, reports and drawings
- Methodical approach to problem solving and strong attention to detail
- Focus on results and project delivery
- Full, clean UK driving licence and ideally access to a vehicle
- MSc in Transport Planning/Engineering
- Chartered Professional status (e.g. CEng, MRTPI, TPP or CMILT)
- Experience of highway scheme appraisal and current economic modelling software including, COBA, QUADRO, MyRIAD and TUBA
- Experience of working with public and private sector clients
- Experience of using Python scripting language
- Experience in the use of micro-simulation models such as PARAMICS and VISSIM
WYG is an award-winning professional services firm operating from more than 50 locations across the UK, Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East. We are driven by client service and underpinned by technical excellence. We help our clients create value, protect value, and manage risk. We are the partner of choice for organisations operating in complex or challenging environments.
WYG is made up of a range of different people and we understand that different people want different things. You’ll enjoy a quality total remuneration package, including contributory pension, health cover and flexible benefits. You’ll have the ability to manage the range of benefits we have on offer to suit your specific needs. We also offer a variety of subsidised sports and social activities: work isn’t just about work. We encourage a healthy work-life balance. Each of our offices have a dedicated and active sports and social team.
WYG is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.