DAI’s Digital Frontiers project works with the U.S. Agency for International Development’s (USAID) Center for Digital Development to identify the most successful digital solutions and scale up its impact. Through Digital Frontiers, DAI manages a variety of buy-in activities that support USAID initiatives to increase access to digital tools and services globally. These include providing strategic advice, developing and running training programs, creating easy to use guides and toolkits, and supporting programming development.
Digital Frontiers is currently preparing for potential buy-in projects including support to the USAID Timor-Leste mission. The Timor-Leste project will work to develop a robust ICT policy, supporting regulations and an implementation action plan. The project will also engage the private sector in a manner that will catalyze private sector investment in improving essential infrastructure, products, and services to help counter these threats, and catalyze inclusive economic growth by virtue of an improved enabling environment.
The project will work towards achieving two objectives:
- Catalyze the development and implementation of Timor-Leste’s Information and Communication Technology (ICT) policy
- Generate private sector investment in ICT infrastructure, products, and services.
The Digital Frontiers’ team is looking to hire one full-time staff member to catalyze the development of Timor-Leste’s ICT policy and devise an action plan to help advance full and effective implementation. Duties could include:
- Development and drafting of the ICT policy
- Chair an ICT working group with DF as the Secretariat to ensure consultative and collaborative engagement with relevant stakeholders across government, private sector, civil society organizations, local population, and the development partner community throughout the development of the policy.
- Exposure and upskilling of stakeholders on American models of ICT policy and regulatory frameworks, including promoting:
- Open, interoperable, secure, and reliable internet and communication networks
- Multi-stakeholder models of internet governance
- Pro-competitive and pro-investment spectrum, telecommunications infrastructure, and regulatory policies
- Effective approaches to advancing supply chain policies (such as for 5G) and regulation of communications networks
- Compile an “Implementation Action Plan” that incorporates practical and tactical recommendations on best practices, lessons learned, what steps to take, and what to avoid, in the implementation of ICT policy
- At least 10 years of experience working on ICT-related policies
- Experience helping governments create and implement ICT-related policies
- Experience working with USAID and/or experience working in developing countries
- Exceptional client relationship management skills
- Experience with financial and project management systems
- Experience working with and collaborating with multiple stakeholders, such as government, CSOs, and private sector
- Experience managing budgets over $1 million
- Experience working and living in South East Asia or knowledge of existing networks in the region; work experience in Timor-Leste preferred
- Strong organizational and oral and written communication skills
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a self-starter
- Help coordinate activities with the anticipated Investment Specialist
Please send CVs to the link below by September 30, 2019. Only short-listed candidates will receive notice requesting additional information.