The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is seeking candidates to work with its Southern and East Africa (SEA) team. This is a temporary position based in NDI’s Washington, DC office. The project assistant will be responsible for assisting with the implementation of democratic development programs in the region.
- Assist with program logistics, including arrangements for airfare, hotel, visas, meeting schedules, and briefing books for traveling NDI staff, consultants, and delegations
- Collect and distribute foreign and domestic newspaper, magazine, and/or academic articles pertaining to Southern and East African affairs
- Provide administrative support on assigned country programs, including filing, faxing, copying, and mailing
- Assist in researching and drafting periodic reports on NDI programs
- Attend events and lectures on Southern and East Africa and provide written summaries to team members
- Attend NDI events and program meetings and provide minutes to team members
- Review documentation of field office expenditures
- Assist in organizing document archives of NDI programs in the SEA region
- Complete special projects as requested
- Bachelor’s degree in African studies, international development, international relations, political science, or a related field
- Some knowledge of Southern and East Africa and an interest in learning more
- High degree of organization, attention to detail, and skill at prioritizing and managing multiple tasks
- Strong research and writing skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel and Google applications
- Oral and written proficiency in English
- Availability to work 40 hours/week for six months
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
NDI is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). As such, NDI makes employment decisions and provides equal employment opportunity without regard to an applicant’s or employee’s race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state and local laws. If you need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please notify NDI’s Human Resources department.