*Only candidates currently residing in Maryland, Virginia, or Washington, D.C. will be considered for this opportunity.*
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is seeking one (1) project assistant to work in Washington, D.C. for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) team’s programs. The project assistant will be responsible for conducting research and preparing briefs on country specific programs, attending meetings and seminars on Middle East and North African affairs, and providing administrative support on country projects. NDI is recruiting for a position available Mid July 2021 for a term appointment lasting three months with the possibility of extension for an additional three months based on performance. Candidates with advanced working proficiency in French will be prioritized in the hiring process; Arabic also a plus.
This is a full-time position, consisting of 40 hrs/week.
- Produce daily news updates for distribution to the MENA team by reviewing foreign and domestic newspapers, magazines, or journal articles pertaining to the Middle East and North Africa
- Research, gather materials and prepare briefs for country or regional specific programs
- Attend meetings and seminars on Middle East and North African affairs and prepare oral and written presentations to MENA team members
- Assist in the preparation and drafting of periodic reports, such as country-specific political and program updates
- Assist as needed in providing administrative support to assigned country projects, such as coordinating travel for staff/consultants/participants, processing payment requests, filing/copying/shipping documents, and other tasks related to backstopping field office activities and event planning
- Conduct special projects as needed
- Bachelor’s degree with coursework in political science, international relations, Middle Eastern studies or additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement on a one-for-one basis
- Advanced working proficiency in French (written and spoken) will be prioritized in the hiring process
- Knowledge of, experience and interest in the Middle East and North Africa
- Strong attention to details with experience prioritizing and managing multiple tasks
- Excellent writing and interpersonal skills
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired
This is a paid temporary position. Selected applicants must be available to start by no later than July 30, 2021 at the latest.
Only candidates currently residing in Maryland, Virginia, or Washington, D.C. will be considered for this opportunity.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.