The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is seeking one (1) project assistant to work in Washington, D.C. for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) team’s programs. The project assistant will be responsible for conducting research on country specific programs, attending meetings and seminars on Middle East and North African affairs, and providing administrative support on country projects. NDI is recruiting for a position available at the beginning of September 2020 for a term appointment lasting three months with the possibility of extension for an additional three months based on performance. Candidates with advanced working proficiency in Arabic will be prioritized in the hiring process.
This is a full-time position, consisting of 40 hrs/week.
- Assist in providing administrative support to assigned country projects, such as coordinating travel for staff/consultants/participants, reviewing financial expenditures, processing payment requests, filing/copying/shipping documents, and other assigned tasks related to backstopping field office activities
- Produce daily news updates for distribution to the MENA team by reviewing foreign and domestic newspapers, magazines, or journal articles pertaining to the Middle East and North Africa
- Research and gather materials for country or regional specific programs
- Attend meetings and seminars on Middle East and North African affairs and prepare oral and written presentations to MENA team members
- Assist in the preparation and drafting of periodic reports, such as country-specific political and program updates
- Conduct special projects as needed
- Bachelor’s degree with coursework in political science, international relations, Middle Eastern studies or additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement on a one-for-one basis
- Advanced working proficiency in Arabic (written and spoken) will be prioritized in the hiring process.
- Knowledge of, experience and interest in the Middle East and North Africa.
- Strong attention to details with experience prioritizing and managing multiple tasks
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired
This is a paid temporary position. Selected applicants must be available to start by no later than September 01, 2020 at the latest.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
NDI is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). As such, NDI makes employment decisions and provides equal employment opportunity without regard to an applicant’s or employee’s race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state and local laws. If you need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please notify NDI’s Human Resources department.