The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) helps local partners to strengthen democracy and governance in over 70 nations around the world. NDI seeks a Temporary Project Assistant who will be an integral and creative part of NDI’s Government Relations and Communications team. The successful candidate will assist in developing and implementing NDI’s external communication strategy through the web, social media, press and outreach to key stakeholders. This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the director of the department.
- Assist in creating and editing content for NDI’s website, blog and social media accounts
- Assist in creating and designing video, brochures, online publications, event invitations, infographics and other materials
- Assist in developing social media campaigns that promote NDI programming and success stories and result in donations to further our work
- Assist in developing press contacts, promotion of NDI events and press, outreach and speaking opportunities for staff experts
- Assist in drafting press releases, statements, advisories and opinion-related pieces
- Contribute to the writing and design of e-newsletters and other email communications
- Assist with outreach to the U.S. Congress and other key stakeholders to stress the importance of democracy and governance, and the role of NDI partners in promoting democracy around the world
- Monitor information sources, including traditional media, blogs, and social networking and reference websites, for topics related to NDI’s work
- Assist with special projects
- Bachelor’s degree required and degree in journalism, communications, digital media, graphic design or related course of study preferred
- Excellent writing and graphic design skills a must
- Photography and videography skills required
- Experience in successful social media campaigns that result in donations very important
- International relations and development experience, including knowledge of NDI’s democracy work, a plus
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, use independent judgment and follow-through with minimal supervision very important
- Ability to work under pressure and deadlines very important
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired
- Knowledge of and proficiency in the Adobe CC Suite, CiviCRM and Drupal a plus
- Strong knowledge of web design, HTML and CSS a plus
Any application without a cover letter will not be considered. Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
All applicants must have the right to work in the U.S without employer sponsorship.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI.
To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.