The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is seeking candidates to work in Washington, D.C. as a full-time project assistant for the Asia-Pacific team covering a range of countries in East Asia and the Pacific. The temporary project assistant position is available beginning in September 2021 for a term appointment lasting three months with the possibility of extension for an additional three months based on performance and/or business need.
- Assist the Asia-Pacific team in organizing and implementing democracy development programs
- Collect and distribute to the regional team foreign and domestic newspaper, magazine, or journal clippings pertaining to Asia & Pacific affairs
- Attend meetings and seminars on Asia-Pacific affairs and prepare written presentations to team members
- Assist in providing logistical and administrative support
- Assist with administrative tasks such as scanning, photocopying, and reviewing documents, such as leases and contracts, in support of headquarters and field office operations
- Conduct special projects as needed
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably with coursework in political science, international development, Asian studies;
- Must have excellent oral and written proficiency in English
- Demonstrated knowledge of and interest in Asia
- Experience living and working in the Pacific Islands region preferred but not required
- Available a minimum of 40 hours per week
- Able to prioritize, meet deadlines, and work with a team
- Experience managing work prioritization and attention to detail
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.)
- Ability to read, write, and speak an Asian language is a plus, particularly Japanese or Korean
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, a successful candidate would work from home temporarily until the NDI-DC office reopens. However, only candidates residing in Maryland, Virginia or Washington, D.C. will be considered for this opportunity.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.