Research Triangle Institute (RTI) has over 30 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector. As a not-for-profit, independent research institute based in North Carolina, USA, RTI has roughly 5,000 employees with global experience implementing international development projects. RTI’s Sustainable Growth & Resilience (SG&R) technical unit within the International Development Group brings together RTI experts and capabilities across food security, agriculture, energy, environment, water, governance, and economic opportunity. SG&R will leverage RTI’s experience designing and delivering multisectoral programming and technical solutions to respond to climate change, build resilience, and promote economic growth around the world.
SG&R’s Environment portfolio has delivered innovative, breakthrough solutions in key development sectors, countering wildlife crime, forestry, protected area management, climate change, environmental policy, economic livelihood development, community engagement, and institutional capacity building.
The Philippines Sustainable Interventions for Biodiversity, Oceans, and Landscapes (SIBOL) Activity, funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Mission in the Philippines, is a $22 million, 5-year project with a period of performance from July 2020 through June 2025, that aims to improve the way that natural resources and the areas from which these are derived are governed and address the drivers of natural resources insecurity by addressing both the supply of and demand for natural resources. The Activity is expected to help reduce environmental crimes and unsustainable environmental practices, sustainably manage the natural resources sector, and improve the governance of natural resources in the country.
RTI International is recruiting for a Technical Writer under SIBOL Activity. This position provides an excellent opportunity to engage with the innerworkings of USAID projects, the environment and natural resources sectors, and more. The Technical Writer will be part of a full-time, dedicated team, based in the Philippines, responsible for successful implementation of the SIBOL Activity. S/he will have the primary task of coordinating inputs for, drafting, editing, one-voicing, and finalizing technical materials including, but not limited to, annual workplans, quarterly progress reports, annual reports, terminal reports, and other technical documents required by the RTI’s cooperative agreement with USAID/Philippines. S/he is expected to facilitate and/or steer discussions leading to the development and/or improvement of technical and/or scientific documents, and must collaborate with communications team in the development and/or improvement of messaging subjects of technical nature.
The position will report to the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Director and may travel domestically within the Philippines to SIBOL field sites, depending on COVID-19 restrictions and protocols.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Draft, edit, one-voice, and finalize technical materials including, but not limited to, annual workplans, quarterly progress reports, annual reports, terminal reports, and other technical documents required by the RTI’s cooperative agreement with USAID/Philippines.
- Write and/edit instructional materials such as, but not limited to, manuals, workbooks and training guides.
- Edit scientific and/or technical papers intended for publication or public circulation.
- Write and edit documents quickly and efficiently to meet fast-paced deadlines.
- Apply clients’ editorial and branding guidelines to documents and follow internal editing checklists.
- Manage advanced collaborative functions for documents on Microsoft SharePoint, Teams, Word, Excel, and more.
- Create and/or coordinate the design of graphics and infographics for work products.
- Ensure compliance with client guidelines and consistency across the team’s other project outputs.
- Collaborate with experts and conduct research to develop technical articles, papers, resources, presentations, and deliverables.
- Draft timelines, drive processes, and help improve quarterly reporting for multiple projects, including supporting project leaders to coordinate inputs and review drafts with field staff.
- Performs other functions as delegated by the COP
- Bachelor’s degree with six years of relevant experience; or master’s degree with four years of relevant experience.
- Advanced skills in persuasive writing and attention to detail in editing.
- Graphic design proficiency is a plus, especially with Adobe Illustrator.
- Experience with USAID and donor-funded projects; international development; energy, environment, and water sectors; and non-English-speaking countries.
- Ability to perform advanced formatting functions and troubleshoot in Microsoft Word documents.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and adapt to complex, changing priorities, workloads, and workflows.
- Effective communications skills and tact for providing diplomatic and constructive comments to colleagues.
- Flexibility and interest in working with team members of diverse and multicultural backgrounds.
- Professional editorial experience, especially in technical and international contexts.